Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Using all numeric for username Post 302204970 by aryamahzar on Friday 13th of June 2008 04:15:30 AM
Old 06-13-2008
Bug Using all numeric for username

Hello,

We have a Solaris 9 machine and recently our client want to create username based on staff numbers (all numeric).

Is there any limitation in Solaris regarding creating username with numeric values (eg: 13598029)?

Thanks & Regards

Aryawarman Mahzar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric or not

Is there a simple way of determining whether a command line arguement is numeric or not?? I tried a search and didn't find anything similar... This is the 2nd time I've made this post.... It didn't appear that the first one showed up ?? Sorry if this is a duplicate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric or not?

Is there an easy way using a command or other routine for testing whether an argument on the command line is numeric? Just want to validate... I ran a search and didn't find a similar question.... Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP username

Hi , I have an issue with sftp username as i have @ character in the username. eg: username=abc@123 when i do as below, sftp abc@123@servername # Its taking only 123@servername . Also, i tried following options, sftp abc\@123@servername sftp 'abc\@123'@servername Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

username

Is it possible to change my username in this site or is thre a way to delete my account and then create a new one with a diffrent user name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: floresr
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Change Username

Hello, I'd like to change my username if possible. The reason is that it is my actual name, and I'd like to remove it from search engines. If it is possible, I'd like to change it to creeps. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cezar.elnazli
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Is it possible to change my username?

I know username is the unique id for my unix_dot_com account, but is it possible change it ? should i raise any special request to moderators ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to change my username?

Moderators, I want to change my username. I tried but unable to find a way to do that. Can you please assist? Thanks & Regards Abedi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katherine2008
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, ``+@netgroup'' (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD