Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random lines selection form a file. Post 302203877 by McLan on Tuesday 10th of June 2008 05:35:28 AM
Old 06-10-2008
Random lines selection form a file.

Quote:
I have a data file with 1000 records, I would like to select 100 lines/records randomly from the data file(data.dat) to other file data_extract.dat

The contents of the data.dat file as below:
Code:
>cat data.dat
0001 Robbert
0002 Nick
0003 Mark
1000 Jarek

Quote:
Do you have any suggestion for this with korn shell script?

Regards.
McLan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract visually blank lines form the file

Hi, Could some one help me to get rid of visually blank lines from a file using shell or awk or sed (on Solaris machine)? When I use grep grep -v ^$ inputfile >outputfile it removes some blank lines.. but it seems some tab plus space balnk lines remains. thaen I used "grep -v '^]*$' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadsuresh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Extract random record which has 4 lines each

Hi, I have a data file with millions of record (N). Each record was saved in 4 lines. So there are total of NX4 lines in the data file. For Example: Host1 a b c d Host2 e f g h Host3 i j k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines form file

Hi i am writing a cron job. in this script i need to delete some line which is match with some pattern. following code i written for deletion sed '1,'$Max_LIneNo' d' myfile.txt >tempfile.tmp mv tempfile.tmp myfile.txt this command is working fine but the problem is that after this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random File Selection and Moving

OK, I am stumpped. I have this shell Script that I want to randomly select a file with the extention of .sct. Then using a portion of its file name select the six related .mot files. Then move them all to another folder. I also need a user input form for the number of .SCT files to randomly select... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stak1993
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse large file on line count (random lines)

I have a file that needs to be parsed into multiple files every time there line contains a number 1. the problem i face is the lines are random and the file size is random. an example is that on line 4, 65, 187, 202 & 209 are number 1's so there has to be file breaks between all those to create 4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darbs121
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom using AWK?

How to remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom. This works, but like awk only cat file | head -n-y | awk 'NR>(x-1)' so remove last 3 lines and 5 firstcat file | head -n-3 | awk 'NR>4' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random selection of subset of sample from file

Hello Could you please help me to find a code that can randomly select 1224 lines from a file of 12240 and make tn output with 1224 line each. my input is txt file with 12240 lines like : 13474 999003507 0 0 2 -9 13475 999003508 0 0 2 -9 13476 999003509 0 0 1 -9 13477 999003510 0 0 1 -9 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove a selection of rows separated by blank lines

hello, here is an example: 9.07 9.05 0.00 2.28 0.00 0.08 1.93 3.62 10.97 12.03 12.03 0.00 2.73 0.00 0.07 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baron1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random shuffle of lines of a TXT file

Hello friends, I have a TXT file with 300 lines in it. I need to shuffle all the lines (randomly) so that they get into different order. Can anyone pls provide easy way, if any? I got it done by doing this below but I see it very lengthy/inefficient way. call random function to generate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies
ARP2ETHERS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ARP2ETHERS(8)

NAME
arp2ethers - convert arpwatch address database to ethers file format SYNOPSIS
arp2ethers DESCRIPTION
arp2ethers converts file arp.dat in the current directory into ethers(5) format on stdout. Usually arp.dat is an ethernet/ip database file generated by arpwatch(8). The arpwatch daemon in Debian will create different arp.dat depending on its configuration. All of them will be available at /var/lib/arpwatch/. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory for arp.dat arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8), ethers(5), rarp(8), arp(8), BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. AUTHORS
Original version by Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. Modified for the Debian Project by Peter Kelemen, with additions from Erik Warmelink. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz This manual page was contributed by Hugo Graumann. ARP2ETHERS(8)