Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to Lock User
Operating Systems Linux Unable to Lock User Post 302202702 by fabtagon on Thursday 5th of June 2008 12:22:11 PM
Old 06-05-2008
To have some more information would be helpful.
Code:
ls -ld /etc/passwd /etc/shadow
grep $user /etc/passwd /etc/shadow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lock an User temperarily

Hi all, How can I lock an User account temperarily? but this account should be accessable to other users through sudo? quick help is highly appriciated thanks reddy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to lock keyboard without using lock command

how can I lock my keyboard while I'm away from the computer without using lock command. What other commands gives me the option to lock keyboard device? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dianayun
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

4. Linux

groupadd: unable to lock group file

Hi guys, i encountered this error when i try to create a group. What is the problem here? I created a few groups weeks before this. I was recommended to reboot the machine, but i am not the owner of the machine, thus i would prefer to know the cause and any other solution other than rebooting the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daven81
1 Replies

5. Solaris

lock user to directory in ftp

how can i lock a specific user to his home directory when he logs on to the computer with ftp? thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

7. Linux

Lock User in home directory in ftp prompt

Hi, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5). Here I have created one user with /sbin/nologin shll such that login is not possible only ftp is possible. But I want to do another thing that the user can not roam around after ftp. I had tried one way. in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kallol
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to obtain lock on NFS files

Hello , I am creating a controlfile of database in linux and below is the error coming: SQL> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE set DATABASE "newdbcln" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG 2 MAXLOGFILES 5 3 MAXLOGMEMBERS 5 MAXDATAFILES 100 4 5 MAXINSTANCES 1 6 MAXLOGHISTORY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the correspond- ing entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.11 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)