Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mknod
Operating Systems HP-UX Mknod Post 302199765 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of May 2008 09:54:09 PM
Old 05-27-2008
mknod is a utility to make filesystem objects. In the case of LVM you might do:
mknod /dev/vgxyz/group c 64 0x030000

You can call a volume group vgxyz if you want, but you must have a file called "group" in it. This form of mknod is making a character special file. 64 is the number of the LVM driver. (lsdev can list drivers.) 0x030000 is a unique number that you must pick to identify the volume group to the kernel. To you it's the vgxyz volume group, but to the kernel, it's the 03 volume group. The group file connects /dev/xyz to the number 03. Anytime you do a vgchange or whatever, the vgchange command needs to let the kernel know what's happening and it talks to the group file to do that.

Cameron, you should be using mkfifo to make your fifo's. And fifo's (aka named pipes) have nothing to do with this.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mknod

Can someone please tell me what the command mknod does and what it's syntax is? I can't find it in my "Unix for dummies" book or "Unix in s nutshell". I found it in an existing script that I want to copy, but I want to understand what I am doing. The script is going to do a full export of an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bemeeks
3 Replies

2. Programming

mknod system call to clone /dev/null

I'm trying to use the "mknod" call in C to create a clone of /dev/null. I am stumped as to the final parameter I should provide to "mknod()". I am supposed to give it a type dev_t, which specifies a major & minor number. I want to specify major 3, minor 1, but how can I do this? dev_t seems to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Help:NFS mknod failed

this is existing issue for this nfs client, which mounts windows exported file system, and this is only one UNIX box has this problem, other boxes are fine. Here is from messages file. Jan 24 03:11:10 venus nfs: NFS mknod failed for server arc: error 2 (RPC: Can't decode result) Jan... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: steeles
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info regarding mknod -p

Hello All, Friends i know mknod with -p option is used to create FIFO special file.:p But i want to know some circumstance/scenario where these are used.:wall: Actually i want to know where i can use it in real time. Please advise.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bibhudatta
3 Replies

5. AIX

What is mknod file present in /etc folder in AIX server used for ?

Hi Guys, On my AIX server , I have this file "mknod" present in the /etc/ directory. When i try opening it , I dont find any ascii characters. It shows some encryption/binary format which is not readable. Is it any executable ? what is the purpose of having this file in etc folder? what if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBTuner
2 Replies
lvmpvg(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 lvmpvg(4)

NAME
lvmpvg - LVM physical volume group information file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that stores the volume-group information for all of the physical volume groups in the system. The information is stored in a hierarchical format. First, it starts with a volume group under which multiple physical volume groups can exist. Under each physical volume group, a list of physical volumes can be specified. There must be at least one physical volume group in each volume group that appears in this file. The physical-volume-group name must be unique within the corresponding volume group, although it is permissible to use a common physical volume group name across different volume groups. There can be as many volume groups in this file as there are in the system. Instead of using the and commands, the administrator can edit this file to create and extend physical volume groups. However, care must be taken to ensure that all physical volumes to be included in the file have already been defined in their respective volume groups by previ- ous use of or The file format has the following structure. and are keywords that introduce the names of the volume group and physical volume group, respectively. pv_path ... pv_path ... pv_path ... The variables are defined as follows: pv_path The block device path name of a physical volume within the volume group. pvg_name The name of the physical volume group. It must be unique within the volume group. vg_name The path name of the volume group. EXAMPLES
The following example shows an file containing two volume groups: the first containing two physical volume groups, each with two physical volumes defined in it; the second containing three physical volume groups, each with one physical volume defined in it. SEE ALSO
vgcreate(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), vgremove(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). lvmpvg(4)