Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OBP on Solaris 10-intel
Operating Systems Solaris OBP on Solaris 10-intel Post 302199185 by nikunja on Monday 26th of May 2008 04:27:14 AM
Old 05-26-2008
devfsadm -C or reconfiguretion reboot <reboot -- -r>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Installation (Intel)

Pls help i've used the boot assistance disk to boot my computer (P3 300) after checking the drivers , i select the CD to install , however, the computer said it can't mount the CD CD is download from sun.com (solaris 8) my CD rom is Misabushi and Ricoh (7060) , both cannot do so, what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazamih
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

Solaris 8 on Intel TCP/IP

I have just installed solaris 8 for Intel on one of my machines at home and I have a cable modem connection with a static IP and I am using a linksys cable/dsl router to assign IP's to my machines. I was wondering if any of you guys know the specific files and examples of the files I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggie316
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kde on solaris 8 intel

hi. Have anyone use kde for solaris, if so can you help me download and configure it. i don't know which files i should download for solaris because there lots of files. Could you point me to the right path.thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
9 Replies

4. Programming

C Compiler for Solaris 8 (Intel)

hi I'm looking for a C Compiler that will run on a Solaris 8 (Intel) platform and that doesn't need to be complied. I've tried gcc binaries but they don't seem to work. Thanx. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 Intel

Do you now have to pay to download the Solaris 8 OE? If so when did they change it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tycobb
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun Solaris OBP Question

Hi, Does anyone know where i can find information on openboot prompt. My machine boot up with the number 1 ok. What does that mean? Any kind of help will be nice. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris on Intel

I was wondering what features are not available on Solaris installed on Intel architecture as compared to the SPARC archietecture?? :-) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Intel Based Solaris

Hello all mentor. I am a new in this furom and also just self studying unix environment. :confused: I have installed intel solaris 9 in my laptop and i have forgotten the root password nor maybe the numlock or capslock of the keyboard was enabled during I enter the password installation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
3 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris 10 cd install(intel)

just need help with loading solaris 10 from cds that i bought from sun. i have a dell box that had solaris 8 on it, wiped it and stuck in the cd1 for solaris 10. selected "solaris" for install. went through a few minutes then comes up with"sunOS Release 5.10 version generic_137138-09 32-bit,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flir11
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Disks aren't showing up in Solaris/OBP

(Disclaimer: I put this in the "dummies" section because I am a UNIX noob and I'm not really sure what I'm doing so I felt like it belonged here. If it belongs in the Solaris section I can delete this and post it there:b:) I was handed over an Oracle SPARC T3-1 machine at work, with 8 physical... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
15 Replies
devfsadm(1M)                                              System Administration Commands                                              devfsadm(1M)

NAME
devfsadm, devfsadmd - administration command for /dev SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/devfsadm [-C] [-c device_class] [-i driver_name] [ -n] [-r root_dir] [-s] [-t table_file] [-v] /usr/lib/devfsadm/devfsadmd DESCRIPTION
devfsadm(1M) maintains the /dev namespace. It replaces the previous suite of devfs administration tools including drvconfig(1M), disks(1M), tapes(1M), ports(1M), audlinks(1M), and devlinks(1M). The default operation is to attempt to load every driver in the system and attach to all possible device instances. Next, devfsadm creates logical links to device nodes in /dev and /devices and loads the device policy. devfsadmd(1M) is the daemon version of devfsadm(1M). The daemon is started during system startup and is responsible for handling both reconfiguration boot processing and updating /dev and /devices in response to dynamic reconfiguration event notifications from the kernel. For compatibility purposes, drvconfig(1M), disks(1M), tapes(1M), ports(1M), audlinks(1M), and devlinks(1M) are implemented as links to devfsadm. In addition to managing /dev, devfsadm also maintains the path_to_inst(4) database. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -C Cleanup mode. Prompt devfsadm to cleanup dangling /dev links that are not normally removed. If the -c option is also used, devfsadm only cleans up for the listed devices' classes. -c device_class Restrict operations to devices of class device_class. Solaris defines the following values for device_class: disk, tape, port, audio, and pseudo. This option might be specified more than once to specify multiple device classes. -i driver_name Configure only the devices for the named driver, driver_name. -n Do not attempt to load drivers or add new nodes to the kernel device tree. -s Suppress any changes to /dev. This is useful with the -v option for debugging. -t table_file Read an alternate devlink.tab file. devfsadm normally reads /etc/devlink.tab. -r root_dir Presume that the /dev directory trees are found under root_dir, not directly under root (/). No other use or assumptions are made about root_dir. -v Print changes to /dev in verbose mode. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/devices device nodes directory /dev logical symbolic links to /devices /usr/lib/devfsadm/devfsadmd devfsadm daemon /dev/.devfsadm_dev.lock update lock file /dev/.devfsadm_daemon.lock daemon lock file /etc/security/device_policy device policy file /etc/security/extra_privs additional device privileges ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), add_drv(1M), modinfo(1M), modload(1M), modunload(1M), rem_drv(1M), svcadm(1M), tapes(1M), path_to_inst(4), attributes(5), privi- leges(5), smf(5), devfs(7FS) NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. The /devices directory might not exist or might have different contents or interpretations in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. devfsadm no longer manages the /devices name space. See devfs(7FS). The device configuration service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/device/local:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 6 Aug 2004 devfsadm(1M)