Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming File - reading - Performance improvement Post 302198403 by aamirglb on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 11:07:52 PM
Old 05-23-2008
I think, read and write are the most low level system calls. All the other function like fread and fwrite again uses some low level function to do their work.
I think, using read for reading a chunk of data can improve the performance since their is not much overhead involved.

Regards,
Aamir

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script ready but might need some improvement.

Hi All, I have written a script which does some editing in the files, based on user input.This might not be the most elegant way of doing it and there would be many improvements needed. Please go through it and let me know how it could be improved. Suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any improvement possible in this script

Hi! Thank you for the help yesterday This is the finished product There is one more thing I would like to do to it but I’m not to certain On how to proceed I would like to log all output to a log in order to Be able to roll back This script is meant to be used in repairing a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
4 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Possible performance improvement (Bash and flat file)

Hello, I am pretty new to shell scripts and I recently wrote one that seems to do what it should but I am exploring the possibility of improving its performance and would appreciate some help. Here is what it does - Its meant to monitor a bunch of systems (reads in IPs one at a time from a flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prafulnama
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux os improvement

can anyone help to share the knowledge on linux os improvement? 1) os account - use window AD authentication, such as ldap, but how to set /etc/passwd, where to put user home? 2) user account activity - how to log os user activity share the idea and what tools can do that...thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbid
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need the improvement for my script

Hi All, Here is my script #! /bin/sh var1=some email id var2=some email id grep -i "FAILED FILE FORMAT VALIDATION" /opt >tmp2 diff tmp1 tmp2 | grep ">" >tmp3 if then cat tmp3 | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var2 else echo "Pattern NOt Found" | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopalak
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improvement in shell script

Hi This is my Following code: #!/bin/sh echo "TOTAL_NO_OF_MAILS" read TOTAL_NO_OF_MAILS echo "TOTAL_NO_OF_TICKETS " read TOTAL_NO_OF_TICKETS echo "TICKETS_IN_QUEUE" read TICKETS_IN_QUEUE rm -rf `pwd`/Focus echo "Hi Team\nSTATS IN CLRS MAIL BOX\n\n==============================" >> Focus... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasim999
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance improvement in grep

Below script is used to search numeric data from around 400 files in a folder. I have 300 such folders. Need help in performance improvement in the script. Below Script searches 20 such folders ( 300 files in each folder) simultaneously. This increases cpu utilization upto 90% What changes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies
fread(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  fread(3)

NAME
fread, fread_unlocked, fwrite, fwrite_unlocked - Perform input/output operations LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> size_t fread( void *pointer, size_t size, size_t num_items, FILE *stream); size_t fread_unlocked( void *pointer, size_t size, size_t num_items, FILE *stream); size_t fwrite( const void *pointer, size_t size, size_t num_items, FILE *stream); size_t fwrite_unlocked( const void *pointer, size_t size, size_t num_items, FILE *stream); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: fread(), fwrite(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to an array. Specifies the size of the variable type of the array pointed to by the pointer parameter. Specifies the number of items of data. Specifies the input or output stream. DESCRIPTION
The fread() function copies num_items of data of length size from the input stream into an array beginning at the location pointed to by the pointer parameter. The fread() function stops copying bytes if an End-of-File or error condition is encountered while reading from the input specified by the stream parameter, or when the number of data items specified by the num_items parameter have been copied. The function leaves the file pointer of the stream parameter, if defined, pointing to the byte following the last byte read, if there is one. The fread() function does not change the contents of the stream parameter. The fwrite() function appends num_items of data of length size from the array pointed to by the pointer parameter to the output stream. The fwrite() function stops writing bytes if an error condition is encountered on the stream, or when the number of items of data specified by the num_items parameter have been written. The fwrite() function does not change the contents of the array pointed to by the pointer parameter. The fread_unlocked() and fwrite_unlocked() functions are functionally identical to the fread() and fwrite() functions, except that fread_unlocked() and fwrite_unlocked() may be safely used only within a scope that is protected by the flockfile() and funlockfile() func- tions used as a pair. The caller must ensure that the stream is locked before using these functions. NOTES
If the stream parameter is invalid, the result of calling the fread(), fwrite(), fread_unlocked(), and fwrite_unlocked() functions is unde- fined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the fread(), fwrite(), fread_unlocked(), and fwrite_unlocked() functions return the number of items actually transferred. If the num_items parameter is negative or 0 (zero), no characters are transferred, and a value of 0 (zero) is returned. If a read or write error occurs, the error indicator for the stream is set, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Refer to the fgetc(3) reference page for error codes returned by fread() and fread_unlocked(). Refer to the fputc(3) reference page for error codes returned by fwrite() and fwrite_unlocked(). RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: read(2), write(2), fopen(3), getc(3), gets(3), printf(3), putc(3), puts(3), scanf(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off fread(3)