Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to merge different coulmn of differnt files Post 302192892 by rahul sharma11 on Thursday 8th of May 2008 05:03:35 AM
Old 05-08-2008
How to merge different coulmn of differnt files

hello gurus ,

i want to merge different column from two different file. file struture is below.

file 1
-------

~information is given

Name class section
A 5 b
B 7 C
D 8 A

file 2
------

~information is given

Name grandtotal
A 20
B 30
D 15

in both the files data will come after "~information is given" and i want a result like

file3
-----
Name class section grandtotal

A 5 b 20
B 7 C 30
D 8 A 15

Any help is highly appericiated

Thanks
Rahul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste coulmn wise

Hello, I need few clarification in types of paste command ussage in coulmn mode : In a directory i have few file distinguished as *.cpu *.vmem and *.mem and have coulmn entries like first cpu file 89576 89576 89576 89576 89576 89576 89576 second cpu file 46312 46312 46312 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_aparna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh between two differnt versions

Hi, I am trying to ssh between two differnt versions on solaris boxes. The src box has the SSH Secure Shell 3.1.0 on sparc-sun-solaris2.6 and destination has SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0. I am not trying for passwordless connection. I just want to get it working with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace value with double quotes of specific coulmn value in csv file

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert,74538,12 2,Sam,07564,13 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14 Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert Ken,74538,12 2,Sam Mik,"07564",13 3,"Kim, Ed",12345,14 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script in two differnt logins

Hi, I need to run a script in two different login's in the same server, but it is running only in one login, i have used the corresponding PATH for each login, but still it says " not authorized to put msg in queue". (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: savithavijay
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows mass copy files with same name in differnt folders

I have files existing with same names in the folders with date as display below c:\2010-09-10 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg c:\2010-09-09 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg c:\2010-09-08 <==== folder arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the lines of differnt files in a single file

My question is I am finding the new.txt file in the directory I am finding current.txt file in the directory in 2nd time I am finding fallback.txt in the directory in 3rd time all with find command now my question is let suppose I got all threee files in one directory then I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync in osx - nondestructive with differnt names of root directory

normally I rsync -haPE source destination What I want to do is take a old ~ directory from an external drive and have it ONLY update missing files NOT replace existing files. excluding ~/library any help would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find arcsin for a coulmn containg values?

Hello everzone, I have a column of values and i need to find arcsin for evry value in this column. I am very new to shell scripting and would be glad to receive any help regarding this. Also i want them to be saved in the next column. Desired output: # # a arcsin(a) b arcsin(b) c ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh.n
10 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 1.1.1.1; Release Date: 2002/04/30. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
2002/04/30 MERGE(1)