Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing argument to a pl/sql block Post 302191388 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of May 2008 11:28:15 AM
Old 05-02-2008
shell script version:
Code:
var="42"
printf  "'%s'" "THIS IS A STRING" | read string_var
sqlplus -s user/passwd@somedb <<EOF
DECLARE
    mynum NUMBER(4):=$var;
    mystring VARCHAR2(32):=$string_var;
BEGIN
    UPDATE MYTABLE
          SET FLD1=mystring WHERE FLD2=mynum;
    COMMIT;
END;
/
EOF

perl has a DBI package for Oracle that allows you code what amounts to a PL/SQL script in perl.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Argument Passing

Greetings, I am wrapping the monitoring commands like vmstat, sar, iostat and call via arguments I want ./unix_stats.sh -v vmstat -p <SEC> -d <Duration> to give vmstat values, and similarly iostat etc.,. Also if I give ./unix_stats.sh -v vmstat -i iostat -p <SEC> -d <Duration> should give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_Rod
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing Argument

Hi All, i have script like below.. echo "1) first option" echo "" echo "2) second option" echo "" echo "*) please enter the correct option" read select case $select in 1) echo "first option selected" ;; 2) echo "second option selected" ;; *) echo "please enter the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GET, passing argument to bash

Hi guys! So, I use GET ( Simple user agent using LWP library. ) on a remote text file that is then passed to bash and executed. However, I need to pass that bash script a single argument, and so far nothing that I have tried has worked, although I have learned quite a bit about input/output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

5. Programming

Passing argument to a program!!

Hi friends, I have a small query, hope u will help me with it. I want to write a small program which would take an integer as an argument, then I want to save that argument in a variable of type int. Could you please help me with it. Here is my program #include <stdio.h> int main(int... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing argument

Hi, I have a script that is scheduled with cron and runs every night. The cron part looks like this: 00 20 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 /usr/local/bin/BACKUP TBTARM HOT DELETE My issue is with the 3rd parameter. Somewhere in the script, i want to tell the script to delete some files if the 3rd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument passing

How to pass the alphabet character as a argument in case and in if block? ex: c=$1 if a-z ]] then echo "alphabet" case $1 in a-z) echo "the value is a alphabet" edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags. We REALLY mean it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the result of an anonymous pl/sql block to a shell script

Hello, Here is the code i have written to get the count of a plsql query back to the unix. function checkforCOIDs { countcheck=`sqlplus -s $1/$2@$3 whenever oserror exit sql.oscode rollback whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode rollback set serverout on size 2000; set head off feedback off... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2eee
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sql file name as an argument

Hi all, I have a a file which contains an oracle query. If this file is pushed into a shell script such as the below, it of course works fine. #!/usr/bin/sh su - oracle -c 'sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF @/home/cron/ORA/sql/T-ORA006-OracleSessions.sql exit; EOF . What i am after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a second argument

I am trying to pass a second argument like so: if ] then export ARG2=$2 else message "Second argument not specified: USAGE - $PROGRAM_NAME ARG1 ARG2" checkerror -e 2 -m "Please specify if it is a history or weekly (H or W) extract in the 2nd argument" fi however, it always goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)