Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is grep being used correctly? Post 302186672 by sai0899 on Thursday 17th of April 2008 08:06:49 PM
Old 04-17-2008
Question Is grep being used correctly?

My goal is to find files contain the "signal 11" string in a specific directory. I need the file details followed by the string.

I wrote a script to test out and play with Shell command since it's my first time to write a Shell script.

Let me cut the story short...

this command line: if [ 'grep -i "signal 11" $fil' -ne "" ]
returns nothing, but actually in reality, I have couple files contains "signal 11" string.

My question is, why does the script not return a list of files which contains "signal 11"?
Is there anything wrong with my script that you can see?

Thanks in advance!

==========================================

#!/bin/sh
#
RESULT=/disk2/app/applmgr/appltop/cssm_custom/11.5.0/out/W2.out
if [ -f /disk2/app/applmgr/appltop/cssm_custom/11.5.0/out/W2.out ]
then
rm $RESULT
fi
#List all modified files more then 7 days in the Directory
for fil in `find /disk2/app/applmgr/comntop/admin/log/ARDEV_arebdd -type f -mtime +7`
do
#Check if the file contains "signal 11"
#If Yes, print out the file name to the output file.
if [ 'grep -i "signal 11" $fil' -ne "" ]
then
echo "fil = $fil" >> $RESULT
fi
done
===============================================

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX will not boot correctly

I am an intern at a company with an HP visualize C160 running HP-UX B.10.20. It has stopped booting to the gui and, after some coaxing, will end up at a text-based menu screen but virtually nothing can be run from there. At first the computer ran through it's boot process then stopped at this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: intern
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX will not boot correctly

i've same failure too, but this command boot pri isl not work/not found Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pantas manik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo not echoing correctly

Here is the file named tuwork.......... 209 200 WZ 6529 SKTNCA01X4X C POI LODI LODI 738 SKTNCA0127T LOD Here is the scipt....... cat tuwork | while read rva do num=`echo $rva | cut -d" " -f1-2` reg=`echo $rva | cut -c10` ocn=`echo $rva | cut -c12-15` x=`echo $rva | cut -c29`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if not working correctly

Anyone have an idea why this if statement does not work correctly? "test2.sh" 18 lines, 386 characters #!/usr/bin/sh WARNING=80 CRITICAL=95 check_it() { if ] || ];then echo "YES ] || ]" else echo "NO ] || ]" fi } check_it 80.1 check_it 81.1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -A switch not working correctly with -m

egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Date:|Time:' *.html this is showing only 2 line after the context of the 2nd found match. Is this a bug in grep? egrep -A 7 -m 2 -h 'Time:' *.html - this works correctly (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zer0
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk not getting the message correctly

I have a script which will take two file as the inputs and take the Value in file1 and search in file2 and give the output in Outputfile. #!/bin/sh #. ${HOME}/crossworlds/bin/CWSharedEnv.sh FILE1=$1 FILE2=$2 for Var in $(cat $FILE1);do echo $Var grep -i "$Var" $FILE2 done > Outputfile I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwapnaNaidu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I grep a Date correctly

I am still a novice at this stuff, but I have searched everywhere and I cant seem to get this working. I am using a database program that I need to pull information from. The command I am using is the following. search /project | grep "date -v -1m "+%Y-%m"" This returns no results, however... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trezero
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping ** correctly

Hello This should be easy, but bash is giving me headaches. At the command line the following command works: duplicity --include /home --exclude '**' / file:///foo Doing that from a script is not straightforward. Note that it is basically a requirement that I place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of the grep is not storred correctly into the variable

I am facing a problem while storring the grep results into a variable. I need to count the occurence of the pattern \, in a file and store that in a variable. I have given the below command p=`grep -c '\\,' filename` But while echoing the variable, i am getting the total number of lines in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renjithv
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Regexp not working correctly

Consider the following code: grep -o -e '^STEAM_::\d+$' workfile3.tmp A sample format of a valid string for the regexp would be: STEAM_0:1:12345678 Here is an example line from the workfile3.tmp file: 465:L 01/02/2012 - 00:05:33: "Spartan1-1-7<8><STEAM_0:1:47539638><>" connected No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)