Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RegExp - settle a bet
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers RegExp - settle a bet Post 302186485 by earnstaf on Thursday 17th of April 2008 10:39:51 AM
Old 04-17-2008
RegExp - settle a bet

A couple co-workers have a disagreement. Can you guys please settle this?

One co-worker says regular expressions can inherently search and replace. His argument is that he can do a s/ regexp / replace in perl (and many other languages).

The other says that by definition regular expressions is just pattern matching and that is an outside function doing the replacing.

Thoughts?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No 5 fail. When install Patches. How to settle?

Install 2.6Recommanded on 2 workstations, one works, but the other one has many No 5 fail. the log says: Installing 106361-14... WARNING: /usr/sbin/patchadd is being used to install this patch. Checking installed packages and patches... Executing prepatch script... Verifying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
1 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Microsoft and Sun Settle Litigation

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/apr04/04-02SunAgreementPR.asp no comments sad pressy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pressy
1 Replies

3. Programming

how to run prog bet to break points

Hi, I have set two break points at 500 and 572 lines respectively. after running prog using (gdb) run i m on the line 500 but how two go to second breakpoints ie line 572 . when i m giving (gdb) run it is asking again to run from starting lines . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read a line with spaces bet " " and write to a file

Hi, I need a command in UNIX KSH below is the description... MAPPING DESCRIPTION ="Test Mapping for the calid inputs" ISVALID ="YES" NAME ="m_test_xml" OBJECTVERSION ="1" VERSIONNUMBER ="1" unix ksh command to read the DESCRIPTION and write to a file Test Mapping for the calid inputs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlamohan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find diff bet 2 files and store result in another file

Hi I want to compare 2 files. The files have the same amount of rows and columns. So each line must be compare against the other and if one differs from the other, the result of both must be stored in a seperate file. I am doing this in awk. Here is my file1: Blocks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
2 Replies
re_comp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       re_comp(3C)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - compile and execute regular expressions SYNOPSIS
#include <re_comp.h> char *re_comp(const char *string); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
The re_comp() function converts a regular expression string (RE) into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() func- tion compares the string pointed to by the string argument with the last regular expression passed to re_comp(). If re_comp() is called with a null pointer argument, the current regular expression remains unchanged. Strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() must be terminated by a null byte, and may include NEWLINE characters. The re_comp() and re_exec() functions support simple regular expressions, which are defined on the regexp(5) manual page. The regular expressions of the form {m}, {m,}, or {m,n} are not supported. RETURN VALUES
The re_comp() function returns a null pointer when the string pointed to by the string argument is successfully converted. Otherwise, a pointer to one of the following error message strings is returned: No previous regular expression Regular expression too long unmatched ( missing ] too many () pairs unmatched ) Upon successful completion, re_exec() returns 1 if string matches the last compiled regular expression. Otherwise, re_exec() returns 0 if string fails to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression is invalid (indicating an internal error). ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
For portability to implementations conforming to X/Open standards prior to SUS, regcomp(3C) and regexec(3C) are preferred to these func- tions. See standards(5). SEE ALSO
grep(1), regcmp(1), regcmp(3C), regcomp(3C), regexec(3C), regexpr(3GEN), regexp(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Feb 1997 re_comp(3C)