Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strip command
Top Forums Programming Strip command Post 302185554 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 15th of April 2008 09:26:25 AM
Old 04-15-2008
no they won't be the same

the answer is in your question ..
stripped version - will not have debugging symbols, symbol table

unstripped version - will have all the necessary information to debug on a core or to debug a running process

stripped version - would be helpful ( not always and it is subjective ) when binary needs to be transferred to another host for execution, run test for batch builds something of that kind

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip all non-alphanumerics

Hi, Can someone let me know how do I strip out any non-alphanumeric character in string tomake it alphanumeric? i.e abc def ghi ->abcdefghi abc-def-ghi ->abcdefghi abc#def-ghi->abcdefghi Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip a string

I have a file that looks like this: /home/fred/opt/bin /opt/usr/bin /usr/sbin/var/opt I need a way to chop of everything after the last occurance of the / sign including the /. So the file above will now look like this below. /home/fred/opt /opt/usr /usr/sbin/var I tried using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strip command

I have created one binary with the debug option debug.out and another without it is production.out. Now, i use stripe on the debug.out. Now, both binary will be same? or have any differences. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip a string in sh

I have a list of servers that I need my script to ping however this list also has the env they belong too such as SIT, PRD, warehouse and so on. The break character for each section is : A value in my list would look like this... brutus.grhq.xxx.com:warehouse Where brutus.grhq.gfs.com is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip off the leading filename from 'wc -l' command

Hi... can anyone please tell how do i strip off the leading filename from the wc -l command.... when i fire command wc -l new1 ... its giving output as 14 new1 i want the output as just '14'... i need to use this value in the calculations in the later part of the script..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip First few Characters

I want to strip first few characters from each record until a proper datesamp is found. Request for getNextPage.................06/29/12 07:49:30 VVUKOVIC@67.208.166.131{7A805FEF76A62FCBB23EA78B5380EF95.tomcat1}TP-Processor14 LogExchUsage: ERROR:: isprof=false : exch=NSDQ output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension?

What's the command syntax for stripping out the tar.gz file extension in a bash command line (not script file). Thanks! prompt/> ls *.tar.gz | <what comes here?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZillaG
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell command to Strip white spaces at specific location

Hello, I have a Comma separated input file with one of the sample records as below: -9223372036854477528,"834","834003325515BXNI00101012013C","5","PLAN_VALUE","PPO, General Cable","C",20130101,99991231,"A","2012-12-25-13.58.14.434000","ZPL2 ","2012-12-25-13.58.14.434000","ZPL2 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
4 Replies
strip(1)							   User Commands							  strip(1)

NAME
strip - strip symbol table, debugging and line number information from an object file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/strip [-lVx] file... DESCRIPTION
The strip command removes the symbol table SHT_SYMTAB and its associated string table, debugging information, and line number information from ELF object files. That is, besides the symbol table and associated string table, the following sections are removed: .line .debug* .stab* Once this stripping process has been done, limited symbolic debugging access is available for that file. Therefore, this command is nor- mally run only on production modules that have been debugged and tested. If strip is executed on a common archive file (see ar.h(3HEAD)) in addition to processing the members, strip will remove the archive symbol table. The archive symbol table must be restored by executing the ar(1) command with the -s option before the archive can be linked by the ld(1) command. strip will produce appropriate warning messages when this situation arises. strip is used to reduce the file storage overhead taken by the object file. OPTIONS
The amount of information stripped from the ELF object file can be controlled by using any of the following options: -l Strip line number information only.Does not strip the symbol table or debugging information. -V Prints, on standard error, the version number of strip. -x Does not strip the symbol table. Debugging and line number information may be stripped. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name referring to an executable file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of strip: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/tmp/strp* Temporary files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ar(1), as(1), ld(1), elf(3ELF), tmpnam(3C), a.out(4), ar.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
The symbol table section will not be removed if it is contained within a segment or if the file is a relocatable object. The line number and debugging sections will not be removed if they are contained within a segment or if their associated relocation section is contained within a segment. SunOS 5.10 15 Jan 2003 strip(1)