Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find Unicode Character in File Post 302184562 by azelinsk on Friday 11th of April 2008 05:40:11 PM
Old 04-11-2008
Find Unicode Character in File

I have a very large file in Unix that I would like to search for all instances of the unicode character 0x17. I need to remove these characters because the character is causing my SAX Parser to throw an exception. Does anyone know how to find a unicode character in a file?

Thank you for your assistance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to display unicode characters / unicode string

I have a stream of characters like "\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1" and i want to display it. I tried following things already without any luck. 1) printf("%s",L("\u8BBE\u5907\u7BA1")); 2) printf("%lc",0x8BBE); 3) setlocale followed by fwide followed by wprintf 4) also changed the local manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdorso
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and remove rows from file where multi occurrences of character found

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the ^M(control M) character in unix file?

can any one say about command to find "^M" (Control M)characters in a unix text file. ^M comes when a file ftped from windows to unix without using bin mode. I need the command to find lik this, ex.txt: ------------------------------ ...,name,time^M go^M ...file,end^M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
5 Replies

4. Solaris

An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x1a)

While uploading an exl file to my application in Solaris 10 the upload failed with error Error! Parsing Error: /SPLM/TC83/tcdata83/model/model_dbextract.xml Line:65576 Column:73 An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x1a) was found in the value of attribute "unitOfMeasureSymbol" and element is ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I replace a unicode character using sed

I have a unicode character {Unicode: 0x1C} in my file and I need to replace it with a blank. How would a sed command look like? cat file1 | sed "s/(//g;" > file2 Is X28 the right value for this Unicode character?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find character position in file?

how to find character positionin file? i.e string = "123X568" i want to find the position of character "X". Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find position of character in multiple strings in a file

Greetings. I have a file with information like this: AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU? AMNDHRKEEU?AMNDHREOEU? AMNDHREU?AHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEU?AMNDKEOEU? What I need to extract is the position, in every line, of every occurrence of '?' A desired output would be something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies
ASCII(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ASCII(1)

NAME
ascii, unicode - interpret ASCII, Unicode characters SYNOPSIS
ascii [ -8 ] [ -oxdbn ] [ -nct ] [ text ] unicode [ -nt ] hexmin-hexmax unicode [ -t ] hex [ ... ] unicode [ -n ] characters look hex /lib/unicode DESCRIPTION
Ascii prints the ASCII values corresponding to characters and vice versa; under the -8 option, the ISO Latin-1 extensions (codes 0200-0377) are included. The values are interpreted in a settable numeric base; -o specifies octal, -d decimal, -x hexadecimal (the default), and -bn base n. With no arguments, ascii prints a table of the character set in the specified base. Characters of text are converted to their ASCII val- ues, one per line. If, however, the first text argument is a valid number in the specified base, conversion goes the opposite way. Control characters are printed as two- or three-character mnemonics. Other options are: -n Force numeric output. -c Force character output. -t Convert from numbers to running text; do not interpret control characters or insert newlines. Unicode is similar; it converts between UTF and character values from the Unicode Standard (see utf(6)). If given a range of hexadecimal numbers, unicode prints a table of the specified Unicode characters -- their values and UTF representations. Otherwise it translates from UTF to numeric value or vice versa, depending on the appearance of the supplied text; the -n option forces numeric output to avoid ambigu- ity with numeric characters. If converting to UTF , the characters are printed one per line unless the -t flag is set, in which case the output is a single string containing only the specified characters. Unlike ascii, unicode treats no characters specially. The output of ascii and unicode may be unhelpful if the characters printed are not available in the current font. The file /lib/unicode contains a table of characters and descriptions, sorted in hexadecimal order, suitable for look(1) on the lower case hex values of characters. EXAMPLES
ascii -d Print the ASCII table base 10. unicode p Print the hex value of `p'. unicode 2200-22f1 Print a table of miscellaneous mathematical symbols. look 039 /lib/unicode See the start of the Greek alphabet's encoding in the Unicode Standard. FILES
/lib/unicode table of characters and descriptions. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/ascii.c /sys/src/cmd/unicode.c SEE ALSO
look(1) tcs(1), utf(6), font(6), ASCII(1)