Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can't pass filename to dtpad editor Post 302184310 by edhamilt on Friday 11th of April 2008 06:41:17 AM
Old 04-11-2008
Can't pass filename to dtpad editor

At the command line, If I type:
%dtpad filename &

It opens up a blank dtpad window, just as if I typed:
%dtpad &

And no difference if I give it the pathname, such as:
%dtpad /here/there/filename &

No issues with passing a filename using vi, xedit, emacs, etc...

The SA indicated it's simply how dtpad runs on our AIX box,
but not being able to pass a file to an editor just doesn't make any sense.

Also, when dtpad opens, I can open a file going the gui File->Open route, but it's way too slow and cumbersome. Interestingly, when I go this route the files that come up for me to select are never in the directory where I actually kicked off dtpad:

So if I'm in /here/there, and open a dtpad window, the File->Open route points me to /nothere/notthere...I'm thinking there's a connection between this and not being able to pass a file on the command line, but don't have the expertise to diagnose...

Regards,
Eryck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pass argument to a filename

How can I use the value of an argument as a filename? Example: The argument for a process is 999. I would like the output of the process to be placed in a file called 999. I have tried using $$1, but that only assigns a unigue number. thanks JP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpprial
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dtpad?

try{ng to find an easy to use text editor for the novice user (vi is too complicated, and pico may be a second choice). the issue I'm having is when the user(in dtpad) copies from another platform (e.g. IBM - MVS, windows), special characters show up such as carriage returns, etc. I know this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't pass filename to dtpad editor

I posted this in the Advanced forum, thought I'd try it here as well... At the command line, If I type: %dtpad filename & It just opens up a blank dtpad window (and no error is returned), just as if I typed: %dtpad & And no difference if I give it the pathname, such as: %dtpad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edhamilt
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename from splitting files to have the same filename of the original file with counter value

Hi all, I have a list of xml file. I need to split the files to a different files when see the <ko> tag. The list of filename are B20090908.1100-20090908.1200_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1200-20090908.1300_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml B20090908.1300-20090908.1400_CDMA=1,NO=2,SITE=3.xml ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a filename as a command line argument

Hi,I have a script which is given below :#!/bin/bash. ini_script.shdb2 connect to $DB_NAME user $DB2_UID using $DB2_PASSWORDfor file in `ls -1 ./sql/ddw/`do echo "Executing the file $file" echo db2 -tvf $filedonedb2 quiti want this script to accept directorie's names present in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pass filename to AWK in bash script

I have written a script which works fine, to remove patterns contained in EXCLUDE.DAT from input.txt awk 'BEGIN {n=0;while (getline < "EXCLUDE.DAT" > 0){ex=$0;n++}} {for(var in ex){print var "-" ex $0 ;i++}}' input.txt The last problem I need to solve is how to pass the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass filename as arguement to awk command?

Hi, I am facing one issue. The awk command works fine if i hardcode the file name but if is pass it as an arguement it doesn't work. For e.g:Below commands works fine awk -v A="$type" '{F=substr($0,23,8) "_LTD_" A ".txt"; print $0 >> F; close(F) }' RL004.txt But the below command does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass subject,mailbody and filename as parameters to function?

Hi Experts, how to pass subject,mailbody and filename as parameters to function. mode=$1 file=/db/files/uniq.txt mail_send() { export MAILPART=$(uuidgen) export MAILPART_BODY=$(uuidgen) { echo "TO:nalu.d@hes.com" echo "Subject:$subject" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
0 Replies
GPIV_SMOOTH(1)						      General Commands Manual						    GPIV_SMOOTH(1)

NAME
gpiv_smooth - Image smoothing program for PIV images. SYNOPSIS
gpiv_smooth [-h | --help] [-p | --print] [-o N | --operation N] [-w N] [-v | --version] [filename] < stdin > stdout DESCRIPTION
gpiv_smooth set each pixel value equal to the mean within a window and eventually subtracts, adds, mulriplies or divides the mean value. The parameters read from the configuration resources (containing the key GPIV_IMGPROC) may be overruled by the command line options, as explained below. Options -h | --help On-line help -o N | --operation N Set pixel equal to the mean of the window value (N0), subtract mean from from pixel (N1) add (N2), multiply (N3) or divide (N4) -v | --version Print version information on standard output, then exit successfully. -w N window size (default: 15) filename Input image filename. Overrides stdin and stdout with the full filename of the image. Output will be written to filename.png. Param- eters are stored in filename.par and may be used for future use by including them in ./gpivrc. If stdin and stdout are used, the input is expected to be a PNG formatted image. SEE ALSO gpivtools AUTHOR
Gerber Van der Graaf 7 November 2006 GPIV_SMOOTH(1)