Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk - split function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - split function Post 302183576 by fusionX on Wednesday 9th of April 2008 12:32:52 PM
Old 04-09-2008
Hi

Usernames should be:

user[1]="cdaeng";
user[2]="rdasal"; and so on....

while GECOS is just the first name and last name and phone and stuff (which goes to user comments)... if i get the usernames working, GECOS will be the same process.

try running the awk file on a file which has the following fields:

"CAPOZZI, MICHAEL B" 08-3191 x8035 Manufacturing
"CLAYPOOLE, AARON JON" 00-8739 x4424 Engineering
"CORRIGAN, DANIEL W" 09-5501 x4673 Sales
and so on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split function

Hi all! I am relatively new to UNIX staff, and I have come across a problem: I have a big directory, which contains 100 smaller ones. Each of the 100 contains a file ending in .txt , so there are 100 files ending in .txt I want to split each of the 100 files in smaller ones, which will contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktsirig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl split function

$mystring = "name:blk:house::"; print "$mystring\n"; @s_format = split(/:/, $mystring); for ($i=0; $i <= $#s_format; $i++) { print "index is $i,field is $s_format"; print "\n"; } $size = $#s_format + 1; print "total size of array is $size\n"; i am expecting my size to be 5, why is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castle
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The builtin split function in AWK is too slow

I have a text file that contains 4 million lines, each line contains 2 fields(colon as field separator). as shown: 123:444,555,666,777,888,345 233:5444,555,666,777,888,345 623:454,585,664,773,888,345 ...... Here I have to split the second field(can be up to 40,000 fields) by comma into an... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split function

my @d =split('\|', $_); west|ACH|3|Y|LuV|N||N|| Qt|UWST|57|Y|LSV|Y|Bng|N|KT| It Returns d as 8 for First Line, and 9 as for Second Line . I want to Process Both the Files, How to Handle It. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split function in HP UNIX

hi all, i have large file. where i need the split the files into two files. can anyone tell me what is the command for that? Unix OS :HP Unix. Thanks, arun. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
2 Replies
lusermod(1)						      General Commands Manual						       lusermod(1)

NAME
lusermod - Modify an user SYNOPSIS
lusermod [OPTION]... user DESCRIPTION
Modifies the user with name user. OPTIONS
-c, --gecos=gecos Set user's GECOS field to gecos. The GECOS field is traditionally used to store user's real name and other information. -d, --directory=directory Set user's home directory to directory. -g, --gid=gid Change user's primary group ID to gid. If group with ID gid does not exist, a warning is printed, but the operation is performed anyway. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -L, --lock Lock user's account. This prevents logging in using user's password. -l, --login=name Rename user to name. -m, --movedirectory After changing user's home directory (using the -d option), move the old home directory to the new location. -P, --plainpassword=password Set user's password to password. Note that the password can be viewed while running lusermod using tools such as ps(1). -p, --password=encrypted Set user's password to the password represented by the hash encrypted. Note that the hash can be viewed while running lusermod using tools such as ps(1). -s, --shell=shell Set user's login shell to shell. -U, --unlock Unlock user's account. -u, --uid=uid Change user's user ID to uid. --commonname=name Set user's common name to name. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have further lim- itations (e.g. LDAP schema rules). --givenname=name Set user's given name to name. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have further limi- tations (e.g. LDAP schema rules). --homephone=phone Set user's home telephone number to phone. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have further limitations (e.g. LDAP schema rules). --roomnumber=room Set user's room number to room. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have further lim- itations (e.g. LDAP schema rules). --surname=name Set user's surname to name. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have further limita- tions (e.g. LDAP schema rules). --telephonenumber=phone Set user's telephone number to phone. This attribute is only supported in some backends (e.g.LDAP), and its support may have fur- ther limitations (e.g. LDAP schema rules). EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser 2009-12-11 lusermod(1)