Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding links to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding links to a file Post 302182497 by ohagar on Sunday 6th of April 2008 09:57:20 PM
Old 04-06-2008
Thank you for the new knowledge you have given me re: how links actually work.

hagar

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_u_n_1234
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get all the links of a file?

Hi all, I have several links to a file. Is there any command or anyway to get all those links. Thanks in advance -Chanakya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing all links in a file system

How would one find and list all links in a file system? My situation is that I built several servers for disaster recovery, mirror images of several servers in our main location. Instead of doing a "ls -l" on every file system down the /usr structor to verify that I have all the necessary links... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Showing a file's symbolic links

ls -l shows the number of links for each file. Is there a command that will show the link sources for a specific file? Running find on the entire filesystem and doing a little Perl "magic" is the only method I'm aware of. I'm running SunOS 5.8. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding and replacing links

Hi, I would like to do a scripting for finding the links based on the name I have and replace the links with the new name. General find command lists everything for that links ( means all the sub-sirs and all the files), i need only the main link and replace. Can you anyone give me some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /etc/smrsh, allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the characters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- /etc/procmailrcs/user || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/ucb/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to ``/etc/smrsh/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the /etc/smrsh directory. Reasonable additions are vacation(1), procmail(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the /etc/smrsh directory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the sm.bin directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs. FILES
/etc/smrsh - directory for restricted programs SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2002/04/25 13:33:40 $ SMRSH(8)