Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting When running if condition, getting the following error Post 302182218 by era on Sunday 6th of April 2008 02:31:24 AM
Old 04-06-2008
Presumably ${filename[0]} gets expanded into an empty string, and test isn't able to parse that. Remember that unquoted empty strings will simply disappear. Either quote the strings, or append a character before them (or, to be on the safe side, do both -- that's why you frequently see something like if [ X"$string" = X ])

Code:
vnix$ echo $nosuchvariable

vnix$ [ $nosuchvariable -eq 0 -a $nosuchvariable -eq 0 -a $nosuchvariable -eq 0 ]
bash: [: too many arguments

vnix$ [ "$nosuchvariable" -eq 0 -a "$nosuchvariable" -eq 0 -a "$nosuchvariable" -eq 0 ]
bash: [: : integer expression expected

I don't understand why you expect $filename to turn into an array. Your while loop reads one line at a time, and the value you read replaces the previous value for $filename. If you want it to be an array, you need to initialize it in a different way.

Maybe you really mean something like this.

Code:
exec <status.txt
read file1
read file2
read file3

echo "first content of the file is $file1"
echo "second content of the file is $file2"
echo "third content of the file is $file3"  # or do you really mean to print "second" twice?
if [ "$file1" -eq 0 -a "$file2" -eq 0 -a "$file3" -eq 0 ]
then
echo "please execute the step 1, then step 2 and then step3"
elif [ "$file1" -eq 0 ]
then
echo "please execute the step 2 and then step3"
elif [ "$file1" -eq 0 -a "$file2" -eq 0 -a "$file3" -ne 0 ]
then
echo "please execute the last step3"
fi

This will still print an error message if not all the input is numeric (that's the "integer expression expected" case in the example above). You might be better off using a case statement instead; it's much less sensitive to the type of input etc than test (aka "[").

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts with condition

I have two scripts: SCR1 which takes between 5 seconds to 15 minutes and needs to be run every 23 minutes. SCR2 which needs to be run every 5 minutes but only if SCR1 is not running at that moment. How can I do this task? Best Regards /Hamid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hamid Afsharazad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in if-else condition

Hi.. Im using the following script to find whether the present day is monday or not. If it is monday it has to do a specific set of things. #!/bin/sh Present_Date=`date` LOAD_DAY=`date -d "$Present_Date" | cut -d " " -f 1` echo $LOAD_DAY if ;then echo "Monday" #statements;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abala
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

until loop : running even if condition is satisfied

I am checking one until loop with the following logic until || |||| do sleep 30 done before running this i am exporting above variables to SUCCESS.But the loop is running in infinite loop.My requirement is to make the loop run until all the 3 variables are SUCCESS or any of the 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in if condition string comparison

Hello all! I need help in debugging following script. I have no idea where I am going wrong. #!/bin/bash for p1 in A1 TM MP do for p2 in A1 TM MP do for mp1 in N1 N2 do for mp2 in N1 N2 do for mp3 in N1 N2 do for mp4 in N1 N2 do for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RLOA
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition error!

Hi Guys, Can you please help me to check if my condition is correct. if && then if ; then # active SE_USERID_LUZON_5="A" elif ; then # not active SE_USERID_LUZON_5="D" ${ECHO_CMD}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while condition error:

I'm trying to run following code: while do echo "Hello World" done but I'm getting error on first line: ./test: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' can anyone please tell me who can i run this loop. Also please tell me what will be syntax of do while loop in case i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error in if condition

Hi All, I need to compare the header of the input files which can be comma demilited, tild(~) or Pipr(|) seperated file. I am comparing the file header by taking 1st row and comparing it with input row: Below is the actual code:(ksh script) if then echo $dat >>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: if condition

please follow below code if ; then its giving me an error as "test1.sh: line 3: r=$(eval echo '$lck_'$TABLE != "") if can anyone tell me how to do inside if condition...with out use any variable.. TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition giving syntax error. Need help.

Hi, I have an if condition on executing it is giving syntax error as below: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- line 61: syntax error in conditional expression ./play_test.sh: line 61: syntax error near `]' ./play_test.sh: line 61: ` if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramki067
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If condition is not working and getting error

Hi Team, If condition is not working properly and getting below error # ./score1.sh Enter your score ('q' for quit): 102 Enter your score ('q' for quit): q ./score1.sh: line 9: q: integer expression expected Average is: 102%. Exit. Actual code # Calculate the average of given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torrid
3 Replies
mktemp(1)							   User Commands							 mktemp(1)

NAME
mktemp - make temporary filename SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-dtqu] [-p directory] [template] DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility makes a temporary filename. To do this, mktemp takes the specified filename template and overwrites a portion of it to create a unique filename. See OPERANDS. The template is passed to mkdtemp(3C) for directories or mkstemp(3C) for ordinary files. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique filename, the file (or directory) is created with file permissions such that it is only read- able and writable by its owner (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. mktemp allows shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the PID as a suffix and used that as a temporary filename. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this guaran- tees that a temporary file is not subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. Use mktemp instead. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -p directory Use the specified directory as a prefix when generating the temporary filename. The directory is overridden by the user's TMPDIR environment variable if it is set. This option implies the -t flag. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t Generate a path rooted in a temporary directory. This directory is chosen as follows: If the user's TMPDIR environment variable is set, the directory contained therein is used. Otherwise, if the -p flag was given the specified directory is used. If none of the above apply, /tmp is used. In this mode, the template (if specified) should be a directory component (as opposed to a full path) and thus should not contain any forward slashes. -u Operate in unsafe mode. The temp file is unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3C), but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is discouraged. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: template template can be any filename with one or more Xs appended to it, for example /tmp/tfile.XXXXXX. If template is not specified, a default of tmp.XXXXXX is used and the -t flag is implied. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using mktemp The following example illustrates a simple use of mktemp in a sh(1) script. In this example, the script quits if it cannot get a safe tem- porary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 2 Using mktemp to Support TMPDIR The following example uses mktemp to support for a user's TMPDIR environment variable: TMPFILE=`mktemp -t example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 3 Using mktemp Without Specifying the Name of the Temporary File The following example uses mktemp without specifying the name of the temporary file. In this case the -t flag is implied. TMPFILE=`mktemp` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 4 Using mktemp with a Default Temporary Directory Other than /tmp The following example creates the temporary file in /extra/tmp unless the user's TMPDIR environment variable specifies otherwise: TMPFILE=`mktemp -p /extra/tmp example.XXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 5 Using mktemp to Remove a File The following example attempts to create two temporary files. If creation of the second temporary file fails, mktemp removes the first file before exiting: TMP1=`mktemp -t example.1.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP1" ]; then exit 1; fi TMP2=`mktemp -t example.2.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP2" ]; then rm -f $TMP1 exit 1 fi Example 6 Using mktemp The following example does not exit if mktemp is unable to create the file. That part of the script has been protected. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q -t example.XXXXXX` if [ ! -z "$TMPFILE" ] then # Safe to use $TMPFILE in this block echo data > $TMPFILE ... rm -f $TMPFILE fi ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mktemp with the -t option: TMPDIR. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), mkdtemp(3C), mkstemp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. The Solaris implementation uses only as many `Xs' as are significant for mktemp(3C) and mkstemp(3C). SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2008 mktemp(1)