Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foormatting file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers foormatting file Post 302179900 by era on Saturday 29th of March 2008 02:47:45 AM
Old 03-29-2008
It's basically a reimplementation of those parts of ls(1) which you need. The problem with ls is that its output is not particularly amenable to scripting.

So you take the file, stat() it, grab the permissions and the owner out of the stat results, and convert the owner from UID to name (getpwnam). But in the famous words of Dennis Ritchie, "You are not expected to understand this" (yet).

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
stat.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							     stat.h(3HEAD)

NAME
stat.h, stat - data returned by stat system call SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> DESCRIPTION
The system calls stat, lstat and fstat return data in a stat structure, which is defined in <stat.h>. The constants used in the st_mode field are also defined in this file: #define S_IFMT /* type of file */ #define S_IAMB /* access mode bits */ #define S_IFIFO /* fifo */ #define S_IFCHR /* character special */ #define S_IFDIR /* directory */ #define S_IFNAM /* XENIX special named file */ #define S_INSEM /* XENIX semaphore subtype of IFNAM */ #define S_INSHD /* XENIX shared data subtype of IFNAM */ #define S_IFBLK /* block special */ #define S_IFREG /* regular */ #define S_IFLNK /* symbolic link */ #define S_IFSOCK /* socket */ #define S_IFDOOR /* door */ #define S_ISUID /* set user id on execution */ #define S_ISGID /* set group id on execution */ #define S_ISVTX /* save swapped text even after use */ #define S_IREAD /* read permission, owner */ #define S_IWRITE /* write permission, owner */ #define S_IEXEC /* execute/search permission, owner */ #define S_ENFMT /* record locking enforcement flag */ #define S_IRWXU /* read, write, execute: owner */ #define S_IRUSR /* read permission: owner */ #define S_IWUSR /* write permission: owner */ #define S_IXUSR /* execute permission: owner */ #define S_IRWXG /* read, write, execute: group */ #define S_IRGRP /* read permission: group */ #define S_IWGRP /* write permission: group */ #define S_IXGRP /* execute permission: group */ #define S_IRWXO /* read, write, execute: other */ #define S_IROTH /* read permission: other */ #define S_IWOTH /* write permission: other */ #define S_IXOTH /* execute permission: other */ The following macros are for POSIX conformance (see standards(5)): #define S_ISBLK(mode) block special file #define S_ISCHR(mode) character special file #define S_ISDIR(mode) directory file #define S_ISFIFO(mode) pipe or fifo file #define S_ISREG(mode) regular file #define S_ISSOCK(mode) socket file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
stat(2), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2002 stat.h(3HEAD)