Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help it works but its to SLOW Post 302179069 by Garlandxj on Thursday 27th of March 2008 12:09:45 AM
Old 03-27-2008
Thanks for the response

I will look into your suggestions. I am sure my "style" Issues will improve with use. SNMP is a large monster in itself. The ping is one of the bottle necks but the information being requested via snmp is another. Each device in the list takes 15 to 30 seconds to process. Taking the larger number that is about 350 minutes to process all devices. I was hoping there is a way to process say 10 devices at once. This may be too advanced for a shell script. My only experience at programming is from Turbo Pascal 15 years ago in high school, so I am a bit out of date.

Thank you again for all your help. So over all its not a completely horrific example of a script? LOL

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

slow ftp

On one of of solaris 7 boxes whenever i telnet or ftp it takes sometime before i get the prompt...any quick ideas where I should look...Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntan
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Slow

The site has gone slow for quite some time... Can you do somethin abt it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
2 Replies

3. SCO

Slow cd response

Hi All We have one SCO Server here and it never gives us any trouble. Until Now!! Well its not earth shattering but we have one user who is complaining of a very slow response time when changing to his Home Directory. Other users who have similar profiles are OK. I have su'd to this user and I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnOB
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp is slow

All of the sudden scp got really slow ... from 2-3 seconds to 30 seconds. This happened for 5 hours, and then it went back to running fast. Why? If I use the -q qualifier which "Disables the progress meter" could this have any adverse effect? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomstone_98
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

6. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>./a.pl works, >a.pl - does not

When I try to execute script, I get message: >aa.pl zsh: command not found: aa.pl but >./aa.pl works OK. What to change in environment to force the former way to work? Thank you, Alex Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)