Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find the path of a file? Post 302178779 by Shivdatta on Wednesday 26th of March 2008 09:54:44 AM
Old 03-26-2008
refer man find....

Code:
find / -name "filename" 2>/dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file in sub-directories.. o/p just the path

Hello All, I am somehow stumped with this ting. 'Find' will sure show me.. but I want only thepath of all the occurences of the file in any of the sub-dirs.. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to find the file with full path

Hi, I have written this shell script: fl=`ls -1lrt $mylist | grep '\.xml$' | awk '{print $9}'` echo $fl (1) for i in $fl do for dir in $mylist do if then echo $dir/$i >> tmp (2) fi done done The mylist contains some directory names. The satement (1) gives the sorted list... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the path of a file

What is the command to find the path of a file if we know the file name and the root directory where the file resides.. For eg. if a file abc.dat resides in /home/mydir/myfiles/. I am looking for a command which will be fired from / directory, takes abc.dat as input and display the path of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a path of a specific file

Hi, A variable value is /home/samir/datas/data.txt I want /home/samir/datas. How can I get that. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: samir_standing
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find unix path to a file?

I know this is very newbie ... but I need help determining the proper file path to file...Have no idea how to do this I'm on a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard thanks very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmarc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to a find a file in which path it is there?

Hi Firends, Good Morning to all, I want a find command to search a paticular file present in my system(ie search through under all users and all directories.) I am looking forward from you.:) Advance Thanks, Siva Ranganath CH (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find exact path of a file/directory

Hello Folks, A wrapper takes an argument of file or directory name. I want to allow paths that reside within the current directory only. Can simply discard the paths like "/A" & "../" as they go outside the current by looking at the path beginning. How to validate this one: A/../../../b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find zero byte file but don't need path

Just i want to ask How to search and display name of zero byte file I have used find command but it is showing complete file path Thanks find . -size 0 giving me zero byte file with location 1)/home/user/a (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and set path in variable?

Hi Folks - I was wondering if you could help convert batch code in Linux? For instance, I use the following piece of code in DOS to find a file/executable, and then the FULL path as a variable. ::-- If startMaxl.exe exists, set full path --:: for %%D in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies
which(1)						      General Commands Manual							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a program file including aliases and paths SYNOPSIS
[name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name given, searches for the file that would be executed if name were given as a command, and displays the absolute path of that file. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are determined by sourc- ing (executing) the user's file. DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names that are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. EXAMPLES
The command: specifies where the executable program of the sh(1) command is found. For example, the response might be: if the sh(1) being used is located in WARNINGS
reports aliases even when not invoked from csh. cannot find built-in commands (e.g., jobs). information may be incorrect because it is unaware of any path or alias changes that have occurred in the current shell session. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
source of aliases and path values which(1)