Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Hidding The Administrator Account in OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Post 302177328 by unimachead on Thursday 20th of March 2008 05:57:20 PM
Old 03-20-2008
Hiding The Administrator Account in OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I would like to know how to hide my initial account (which is an administrator account) in the new Leopard 10.5 operating system.
In the old OS 10.4 this could be done very easily with the help of NetInfo Manager. You could change the UID to anything below 500 and secure your account, however in the new 10.5 OS this is no longer possible. NetInfo manager is no longer. Is there a script that can be entered via terminal that takes care of this?
In terminal you can check the user database with the following:
dscl . list /Users UniqueID

In raw UNIX you can check with the following:
cat /etc/passwd

Any pro help would be appreciated.

Smilie

Last edited by unimachead; 03-23-2008 at 01:50 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidding Files in UNIX

:o ! HELLO SIR, 1) In UNIX how to hide & unhide a file. What are the Commands are there . ----------- :confused: 2) One more thing is that when i using WILD CARDS .The commands are not working Properly. Why like that. Please help me . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smdakram
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting an account to be a non-login account automatically?

Is there a way to easily change an account to be a non login account (NP in the shadow) file? I know I can just edit the file but that is not what we want to do. We use access control software and want to provide a way to set an account to be non-login using simple commands that can be mapped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

5. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Restart old account, change email for account

Hi there, I may have had a typo in my email previously provided. I have doublechecked my email for Scott's reply but havent seen it, so I am creating a new post. My new email can be either one of these: <removed> or <removed> I beleive my old email was <removed by admin> thanks for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AKelam_MagnusA
1 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

What happens to your skype account if you close outlook.com email account?

Hello, Does anyone know what happens to your skype account if you close the outlook.com email account which are linked together? As you know they are both owned by Microsoft. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator

I want to create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator. I have created a script but its showing all the information when i search for username like: amit@mx:~$ ./uinfo.sh amit Username : amit User Info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1986
2 Replies
NIGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NIGREP(1)

NAME
mkslapdconf - generate a configuration file for the LDAP server SYNOPSIS
mkslapdconf [ -r ] DESCRIPTION
mkslapdconf creates a configuration file suitable for the slapd(8) LDAP server, using the LDAP NetInfo bridge (back-netinfo). By default, it is invoked in local mode, in which a list of NetInfo domains to serve is determined by listing the valid databases in /var/db/netinfo. If the -r option is specified, then mkslapdconf consults the NetInfo binder daemon, nibindd(8), to list the NetInfo domains served by the local machine. In either case, a separate instance of the bridge is created for each domain (although they all share the same process). In local mode, slapd(8) will access the NetInfo database directly; in remote mode, it will use the netinfo(3) client library to access the database via remote procedure calls (RPC). NetInfo has separate namespaces for domains and directories; in the X.500 information model, there is a single namespace. NetInfo names are written most significant component to least significant; X.500 "distinguished" names are usually written the other way. X.500 names are also case-insensitive. The mapping between NetInfo domains and X.500 names may be configured using the suffix property in a specific host's /machines entry. Like the serves property, the suffix property determines the relative domain name of a child domain; its values must be ordered according to the serves property in each host entry. In the case of the master NetInfo server's host entry, the value of the suffix property at the same index as the "./tag" serves property will be used to determine the distinguished name for the root NetInfo domain. In the absence of a specific mapping, the ou attribute type is used to construct a relative distinguished name from the NetInfo domain name. Note that in the present implementation, even if the NetInfo database is accessed directly, the NetInfo server must still be running as the namespace is interrogated using NetInfo RPC. See nicl(1) for more information on how NetInfo directory names are mapped to X.500 distinguished names. For example, the NetInfo entry /users/alice in the NetInfo domain /sales/polaris would be (with RFC 2307 schema mapping) by default mapped to the distinguished name uid=alice,cn=users,ou=polaris,ou=sales. mkslapdconf configures the LDAP bridge to apply traditional NetInfo authorization policies, as well as the native slapd(8) authorization model. If the current host is not the master for a NetInfo domain, then the LDAP bridge will be configured for read-only access only. Referrals are used to glue NetInfo domains together so that the search policy described in netinfo(5) is adhered to. mkslapdconf config- ures a default referral for the immediate parent domain; child domains are handled by the bridge itself. The local domain is always aliased to the distinguished name dc=local, and (for one-level and subtree searches) the root (empty) DSE. A search with a base of "dc=local" or "" will consult the local NetInfo domain; search results will always be written relative to the canonical distinguished name for the domain, however. The configuration file created by mkslapdconf includes the OpenLDAP core, Cosine (RFC 1274), NIS (RFC 2307) inetOrgPerson (RFC 2798), mis- cellaneous and Apple schema. If you wish to add support for additional schema you will need to postprocess the configuration file manu- ally. The configuration file is written to the standard output. mkslapdconf should be run at startup immediately before the LDAP server is started, but after the NetInfo server is started. OPTIONS
-r Specify that the LDAP bridge will access the NetInfo database using the netinfo(3) RPC client library. EXAMPLES
# mkslapdconf > /etc/openldap/slapd.conf SEE ALSO
netinfo(3), netinfo(5), nibindd(8), nicl(1), nidomain(8), slapd(8) AUTHOR
Luke Howard, Apple Computer, Inc. Apple Computer, Inc. March 21, 2001 NIGREP(1)