Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Non-gui equivalent to SMC Management Console? Post 302177292 by jeffpas on Thursday 20th of March 2008 03:09:48 PM
Old 03-20-2008
I hate also to stray from the topic, but this is right in line with what we are doing.

One of the reasons I wanted smc is because the SPARC install package contains a straight tarball, which includes among a list of files samgr-client/root/, samgr-client/install/ and samgr-client pkgmap and pkginfo.

Although I do not currently have clearance to actually install this client yet, I do understand that

# pkgadd -d <install package>

is the syntax to install from a Solaris package. But I don't see any particular file in this tarball which is the package itself, or which by reasonable english would make you assume it is.
There are two SPARC package files:

Client.2.2.1.3.SPARC.pkg.tar
CommerConf.2.3.1.1.SPARC.pkg.tar

I can't find any definitive explanation on the web, or in a Solaris book (although I've only found one so far).

All I can assume is I tar -xvf both of these tarballs from root, then execute

# pkgadd -d $PWD

From the root directory.
Is this how Solaris SPARC packages are installed?
Smc I assume, would walk you through creating this command.
The creators of this package, of course, are awol.

Thanks for any advice.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

misc : console & pakage management

Two unrelated questions here: 1/ In debian, is it possible to change the font and resolution of the console (not xterm)? 2/ still in debian, how can you know what packages have been installed ? I'm thinking to something similar to pkg_info on FreeBSD. thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jad
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Error while adding a new user using Solaris Management Console.

Hi All, I am adding a new user by using Solaris Manamement Console after Remotely Access through Xmanager 1.3.9. But after completing all steps its through an error as follows. The Actual Error Reported was : The management Domain file :/abc/abc do not exist or can not be managed on abc. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: response_manu
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Red stop signs in Solaris Management Console 2.1

I've installed Solaris 10 (x86 8/07) on a Dell PowerEdge 2950. When I bring up the Solaris Management Console I get red stop sign looking icons on all areas (System Status, System Configuration, Services, Storage, and Devices and hardware) under This computer. Originally nothing was showing up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayroreality
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure wifi throught console problem, GUI is OK

Hi gurus, I am trying to connect to wifi access point with terminal, I set up my own access point (no encryption or MAC filters) I ran followings commands $ sudo iwlist eth1 scanning eth1 Scan completed : Cell 01 - Address: 00:11:2F:A2:99:1C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SMC web console

Dear Team please some body know what happened with smcwebconsole from Solaris10 to Solaris11 I don't found this script or Don't find in svcs -a please if some body know any think about this issue to tell us best, :p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hosam
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

implement management console

HI All, I have 5 linux Servers in my DC. Now I need to install Management console for all these servers, Can any one guide me , what are all the necessary things needed to do this and any steps to be followed. Thanks in advance, JeganR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

7. SCO

Console GUI kicks me after 30 seconds. Licensing issue?

I have two SCO servers. On one I can logon to the gui via console with no problem. However, on the other I can logon to the gui but after a few seconds it kicks me back out to the prompt. I asked previous admin about this and he seems to think its a license issue? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

When connecting to HPUX gui console it is grey screen?

My screen is grey when i connect to gui console (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)