Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Fastest way for searching the file Post 302174163 by ghostdog74 on Monday 10th of March 2008 07:01:38 AM
Old 03-10-2008
if you know where the file roughly is, you can specify the directory to find, instead of using /.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fastest copy command

wich is the fastest command in HP-UX to copy an entire disk to dat tapes, or even disk to disk? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fastest way to remove duplicates.

I have searched the FAQ - by using sort, duplicates, etc.... but I didn't get any articles or results on it. Currently, I am using: sort -u file1 > file2 to remove duplicates. For a file size of 1giga byte approx. time taken to remove duplicates is 1hr 21 mins. Is there any other faster way... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to delete line

I have a 5 GB text file(log/debug) I want to delete all lines containing 'TRACE' Command used sed -i '/TRACE/d' mylog.txt Is there any other fastest way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

5. Solaris

The FASTEST copy method?

Hi Experts, I've been asked if there is a fast way to duplicate a file(10GB) and zip it at the same time. The zipped file would be FTP'd.....management is asking this. Maybe there is a better method all together? any ideas? CP will not cut it. Thanks in advance Harley (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Programming

Fastest way to find the length of string in c

Hi all, We use strlen() fun provided by library to find the length of a string. Looking inside of it, it has some different mechanism to find the length of string. Normally, we scan the string byte by byte until the '\0' character. It takes a logn time to count length. The Library strlen()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshrl9072
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way calculating directory

Hi expert, Is there any fastest way to calculate recursive directory, and I have total 600 directories have 100000 files and 10 directory approximately 9000000 - 10000000 each files per directory. currently using this command "du -k --max-depth=0" to get the size but very slow it take 24 hours... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rufino
9 Replies

9. Solaris

The Fastest for copy huge data

Dear Experts, I would like to know what's the best method for copy data around 3 mio (spread in a hundred folders, size each file around 1kb) between 2 servers? I already tried using Rsync and tar command. But using these command is too long. Please advice. Thanks Edy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check fastest server and using it

hello we have upload some data in 15 servers in usa asia ... i consider to add new feature , script can detect download speed between localhost and destination and use fastest server, i have cut this part from a script which have this feature, download a xx MB file from all its source and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
0 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)