Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .profile - changes don't affect the login Post 302174002 by DukeNuke2 on Sunday 9th of March 2008 02:04:37 PM
Old 03-09-2008
the last line works fine for me... i changed it a little bit to:

echo `who | wc -l` "user(s) are online"

and is bash the shell thats in yout /etc/passwd file for your user (is it the login shell)?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why i have local.profile, local.cshrc,local.login instead of .profile, .login ?

Hello again ! Thanks for response of my first question. there is my second quesiton why i have local.profile instead of .profile file ? my all files in pwd shoes local. before any file. is anybody can tell me about that ? Thanks Abid Malik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clarification on .cshrc,.exrc,.login,.profile,.sh_history files

All, I had a request to delete filed under a directory that was 35 days old . And they asked me to scedule it in CRON . I have done that . I have use find and delete with mtime to perfrom this task . But my script is not deleting this .cshrc,.exrc,.login,.profile,.sh_history file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Dear experts ... Please any one can describe the diffrence between this three 1) . cshrc 2) .profile 3) .login cheers syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Hi.. i was just looking to know the diffrence between this three terms 1) .cshrc 2) .login 3) .profle but iam failed to findout the exact diffrent Please can any one share the diffrence between this regards Syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on .profile login script

Hey everyone, I'am a little new here and experincing Unix for the first time. I was wondering if somone could help me with this question i'am a bit stuck on Looking at the content of .profile login script The .profile file is in your login directory. It is a startup script file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worldsoutro
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab jobs don't see variables defined in /etc/profile

Is it true that Crontab jobs don't see variables defined in /etc/profile? How to get around that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between .login, .tcshrc ,.profile

Could you please explain me what is the difference between .login, .tcshrc ,.profile file . Can I keep .tcshrc file in two different location .Actually my problem is I have one server in which another server is mounted so I have two programs which refers to two different versions of java and I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login profile[solved]

i vi .profile Set DATE `date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, but after logout/login, echo $DATE, it shows: Fri Mar 23 15:01:53 EDT 2012, i want to show: 032320121501 please ignore. vi /etc/profile, and export DATE=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, worked fine now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the profile file that is auto executed when I login

Hi, I dont find any .profile under my user home directory. These are the only files i see in my home directory. # ls -laq total 44 drwx------ 4 user1 adm 4096 Nov 23 05:10 . drwxr-xr-x. 12 root root 4096 Nov 22 13:05 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 adm 18 Nov 22 13:05 .bash_logout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)