Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix doubts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix doubts Post 302173649 by justinwyllie on Friday 7th of March 2008 11:15:21 AM
Old 03-07-2008
or at least disguise them

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix & C doubts

Hi, I have a few doubt here : 1) I want to run a 3 different 'C' programs in same session simulteneously (parelelly). if I make a shell, it is running one after another, I mean it shout run in 3 processors. 2) In 'C' program, how can I assing a value of the unix commant cat a.txt|wc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. Programming

Doubts About C Compiler In Unix/linux

As all of you know whenever a program "say a.c" is complied in linux using the gcc or the cc compiler..it shows the list of errors ( if the program contains any).. i want to modify the compier script so as to list the no of errors only and not the description about the error..like" parse error " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrs
1 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums. I registered my id but I am unable to post my Questions to Forum. Thanks & Regards, indusri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indusri
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix doubts

Write unix command to list or view auto links (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishshah.engg
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubts in crontab

Hi All, I am tring to set a shedule for cron to execute my script in every 15 min, n want a mail alert on my mail id if cron fails to get data as input for my script, how can i set that? Thanks in advance Subin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic doubts related to Unix

Hi all, I have few question related to Unix environment and commands : 1. what is .chrc file contain and if it is not present then what happens. 2. what is .login file contain,in which dir it is present and what all other uses are their for this file 3. how and who calls .profile when you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix doubts

Hi All, 1. how and who calls .profile when you login 2. what is PPID and what means by PPID = 0 Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Few Important doubts and questions..(Unix/Shell)

Hi All, I have a few questions which I am unable to solve/answer. Please help me with them:- Command in Unix to determine if a Host is connected to the internet ? If a parenet process is killed what happens to the child process? How do I print the first 10 lines of a file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unix scripting doubts

i hav a file like this -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 4141 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaauditlos.ksh -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 3958 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaexpchbk1.ksh -rwxr-xr-x 1 root controlm 6471 Nov 13 2006 /opt/scripts/prod/fvaexpchbk2.ksh... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: p_satyambabu
24 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)