Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use wildcards in a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use wildcards in a script Post 302173499 by riderandy on Thursday 6th of March 2008 10:21:53 PM
Old 03-06-2008
Using wildcards to view multiple files

hi, i have a similar question,

i would like to view multiple files using cat, but i don't know the correct command to use.

example:
i have the following files
file12345
file12346
file12347
file12348
and so on up to....
file43455

is there a one-line command that can cat all these files?

i know about wildcards, but what i'm thinking is to issue the following commands:

Code:
cat file1234[5-9]
cat file123[4-9]?
cat file12[4-9]??

and so on.. but these are a set of commands that does the cat'ing part by part... can i cat all those files using a one-line command??

thanks for helping

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script for deletion using wildcards

find ./ -name t\* | sed "s@^./@@" > .filestobedeleted j=$(wc -l < .filestobedeleted) typeset -i cnt=0 typeset -i i=0 while read line do myarray=$line ((cnt = cnt + 1)) done < .filestobedeleted while (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aishu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to search and extract using wildcards.

Good evening All, I have a perl script to pull out all occurrences of a files beginning with xx and ending in .p. I will then loop through all 1K files in a directory. I can grep for xx*.p files but it gives me the entire line. I wish to output to a single colum with only the hits found. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CammyD
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running script on SFTP server, RMDIR and RM with wildcards

Im going insane trying to figure out what i consider a basic command on an SFTP server... Im trying to download all files from a directory *done* then remove all the files (and sometimes folders that contain files) i have downloaded on the remote directory... the command i would normally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH Script for file name wildcards

Does anyone know how I would go about inserting text at the beginning of a file with the file name containing a daily time stamp? Essentially I need to find the file name using a wild card, and then insert 3 lines of text - one of which is the processing date. Help please!? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cookie33
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards in file input to a script?

I have four files: test test2 test3 test4 I have this simple script: #!/bin/bash ls $1 Why does ./the_script.sh test* only list the first file, when a normal ls test* would list all four? What do I need to change in the script to be able to use wildcard? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
12 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2003-03-02 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2005 AT&T Corp. license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.txt KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)