Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming zombie to exist after the termination of main program.. Post 302170356 by anilchowdhury on Monday 25th of February 2008 11:01:05 AM
Old 02-25-2008
thanx for ur explanations.....!!
i m not interested in making zombies unreapable..all i wanted to hav an idea that whether its possible or not to do it...

If u look at the code above in first post,i hav made parent process to sleep for 60secs
If i run this code(i.e ./a.out) n then execute "ps -eaf" on the terminal within 60secs... i will see
1)./a.out
2)[a.out <defunct>]

If i again execute "ps -eaf" after 60secs i wont see those two output....
bcoz its no longer exist ,after 60secs the main program has terminated and [a.out <defunct>] has been adopted by init .

i want these two output to remain there even after the parent process has terminated i.e if i run "ps -eaf " after 60secs the same output should be seen ..

actually this is my lab assignment questions which goes as follow

"Write a Unix program that will create a zombie process that exists after
the main program terminates.
"
so in order to solve this i was seeking help in different forums..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Abnormal Termination errors

I'm having trouble with Abnormal Termination errors. What are they, what causes them and how can I prevent them from happening? Are they application specific? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bialsibub
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zombie program

When you run a ps -ef and if the status is a Z (zombie) does that mean the same as not responding? (Like a windows machine). Also has anyone here heard of the program called 'top' (I've found it on our Solaris 7 machines) If you have you might be able to help me. I need to know if there is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

zombie processes and hung process termination

Is there a way I can run a command that will run in the kernel or in the memory and automatically kill certain scripts if they get to <defunct> processes, without having to be monitoring the server manually? I have a Perl script which runs for 20k members and normally does not have any problems,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Zombie Process Termination Time

Hey, I've got a program that fork's a list of child processes, and keeps their pid's in a list. After the parent finishes it's main business logic, it needs to check which child already finished - and when. Is it possible - using waitpid or any other func\syscall - get this information... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sternr
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with ssh termination...

hi all, i have a situation where i run ssh command from a unix machine to execute few scripts on 2 other unix machines. my problem is, the scripts that i run will start few commands on the 2 servers and will quit....i am able to quit from the script but i have to give ctrl+c (on the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To see if a program exist and is executable

Hi, I am making a program that needs to detect if the program name in parameter is a valid runable program. But the line if ; then never seem to work. Even if I run like: ./script cat "-u" cat "-u" inputfile Thank you everyone. #!/bin/bash # usage() { #print usage message and quit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leonmerc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

main program is not calling small other programs

I am trying to understand a program in a book and this program suppose to call other programs which are in the same folder, the other programs are called 'lu' and 'add' but for some reason when it gets to the last line of each case to call these programs there is an error message saying ./rolo:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
2 Replies

8. AIX

Help with AIX XL C++ complier: app exit before main program

I have two shared libraries, A, B(B depents on A, both linked with -G option which means they're rtl enable), B's toc size is bigger than 64K(-bbigtoc), while A's toc size smaller than 64K. Then I write a "Hello, world" example E, and link with A and B. Link cmd 1: xlC128_r -o E E.o -lA -lB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
0 Replies

9. AIX

Calling functions from main program from dlopened library function

Hello All, I am trying to call a function from the calling main program from a dlopened library function, below is the entire code, when I execute it it crashes with sigill. Can you guys help me out I guess I am missing out on the linker flag or something here. besides I am new to AIX and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedtoah
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Could not find the main class: Grasp. Program will exit.

I am having trouble running jgrasp. I get the message above when I try to run jgrasp. I am running fedora if that makes a difference. I have already set my environmental variable with this. Hopefully I did it right. JGRASP_HOME=/opt/jgrasp export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
wait(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						  wait(3C)

NAME
wait - wait for child process to stop or terminate SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> pid_t wait(int *stat_loc); DESCRIPTION
The wait() function will suspend execution of the calling thread until status information for one of its terminated child processes is available, or until delivery of a signal whose action is either to execute a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. If more than one thread is suspended in wait(), waitpid(3C), or waitid(2) awaiting termination of the same process, exactly one thread will return the process status at the time of the target process termination. If status information is available prior to the call to wait(), return will be immediate. If wait() returns because the status of a child process is available, it returns the process ID of the child process. If the calling process specified a non-zero value for stat_loc, the status of the child process is stored in the location pointed to by stat_loc. That status can be evaluated with the macros described on the wait.h(3HEAD) manual page. In the following, status is the object pointed to by stat_loc: o If the child process terminated due to an _exit() call, the low order 8 bits of status will be 0 and the high order 8 bits will contain the low order 7 bits of the argument that the child process passed to _exit(); see exit(2). o If the child process terminated due to a signal, the high order 8 bits of status will be 0 and the low order 7bits will contain the number of the signal that caused the termination. In addition, if WCOREFLG is set, a "core image" will have been produced; see signal.h(3HEAD) and wait.h(3HEAD). One instance of a SIGCHLD signal is queued for each child process whose status has changed. If wait() returns because the status of a child process is available, any pending SIGCHLD signal associated with the process ID of that child process is discarded. Any other pending SIGCHLD signals remain pending. If the calling process has SA_NOCLDWAIT set or has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN, and the process has no unwaited children that were transformed into zombie processes, it will block until all of its children terminate, and wait() will fail and set errno to ECHILD. If a parent process terminates without waiting for its child processes to terminate, the parent process ID of each child process is set to 1, with the initialization process inheriting the child processes; see Intro(2). RETURN VALUES
When wait() returns due to a terminated child process, the process ID of the child is returned to the calling process. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The wait() function will fail if: ECHILD The calling process has no existing unwaited-for child processes. EINTR The function was interrupted by a signal. USAGE
Since wait() blocks on a stopped child, a calling process wanting to see the return results of such a call should use waitpid(3C) or waitid(2) instead of wait(). The wait() function is implemented as a call to waitpid(-1, stat_loc, 0). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(2), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), pause(2), waitid(2), ptrace(3C), signal(3C), signal.h(3HEAD), waitpid(3C), wait.h(3HEAD), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Jun 2004 wait(3C)