Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Any command to watch output repeatedly?? Post 302169442 by timontt on Thursday 21st of February 2008 10:41:59 AM
Old 02-21-2008
Not really sure for solaris, but you always can have simple script like...

while true;do
command
sleep 5
done

This will display command output every 5s until u break it...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux watch command on AIX?

On Linux I could use the `watch` command to loop a command X times. Is there a similar command on AIX? If not, is there a way to write a loop on the command line to do this? Linux: watch -d -n 60 'db2 list applications show detail | grep Connect | wc -l' AIX: ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command similar to watch

Hi all, I am trying to create a file that shows the CPU usage, constantly updating (similar to TOP). So far i have a file (called test) containing: echo "The current CPU usage is:" `ps -e -o pcpu|awk 'NR > 0 { s +=$1 }; END {print s"%"}'` and then I ran the command: watch -d 0.5 -t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

watch command

Hi, Please help me out! In the man pages they dont talk about any options that can be used to terminate a running 'watch' command. Do you know a way of terminating the command using an option? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foxtron
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

looking for a unix command for hpux - watch

watch is a common linux command that executes a program periodically, showing output fullscreen. I couldn't find anything for hpux, so I created the following shell which the user is testing: cat /usr/bin/watch #!/bin/sh while ; do clear echo "Command: $*" date echo "" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use script to monitor command output question? (like Linux watch)

Hi I want to write a script, help me to monitor command output. This script like Linux "watch" command. Below is my script: # cat watch.sh #!/bin/bash while true do clear echo "command: $*" ( $* ) sleep 2 done Then I run this script below (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with each line from another file repeatedly

I don't know if it's been asked before but seems i gave up seeking. i have 2 files : file1.txt Monday XXXX Tuesday XXXX XXXX Wednesday Thursday XXXX XXXX is in every lines of file1.txt and i want to replace them with each line in file2.txt: home school cinema so output file is: ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: perseous
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the watch command

so i have a very long script which i have to run. when i run this script, i want to monitor the the openssl commands it runs. the way ive attempted to do this is: watch -t -n 1 "(date '+TIME:%H:%M:%S' ; ps aux | egrep openssl | egrep -v grep)" 2>&1 | tee -a logfile the above command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a file type exists repeatedly

Hi, I have the below script that checks if the .tar file exists in my present directory. If so, extract it and then delete it except if the .tar filename is blent.tar #!/bin/bash while ; do echo "TAR BALL EXISTS" for f in *.tar; do echo "File -> $f" tar -xvf $f rm -ir $f... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)