Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How much space is needed by /usr? Post 302169113 by Westy564 on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 10:08:13 AM
Old 02-20-2008
How much space is needed by /usr?

Aix 5.2

If you install Aix and accept the default settings for the various filesystems how much space is allocated for /usr?

I've just accepted the default settings for the install prompts and no third party apps have been installed.

TIA

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings, I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space. I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
5 Replies

2. Programming

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may

hello, i get these warnings on make(ing) /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f90.so, may conflict with libgfortran.so.3 /usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.1, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/4.3.2/../../../liblapack.a, may conflict with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreekar
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Allocating space to ufs /usr by using ZFS in solaris

Hi, Im currently having my diskspace allocation of my UFS filesystem in solris as 100% for /usr directory.I have created a zfs pool of 3 gb.I want to allocate space from my zfs pool to /usr so that i can free space in /usr.Please help me it is quiet urgent. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: navjotmannan
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help needed: remove space between certain columns

dear all, i have a data looks like this (i have 3000 columns): rs123 A T T G C C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A ... rs154 T T G C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... rs126 A C C C C C A A A A A A A A A A A A T T G ... I want to remove all the space after the 2nd column and make the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to create a UNIX Space monitoring script

Hi All, Its urgent.. pls help me out.. I want to create a KSH which should generate a report with the list of users and the files larger than 5 GB created by them in a direcorty and send autogenerated e-mail to them. my input would be users list,directory path and the file size (say 5 GB) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anman0523
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running out of /usr space ...

Hi, Can anyone please advise me on how can i increase /usr disk space manually. The partition was created using manual disk spaces as per IT dept. request As i don't have any space available on the said production system. Therefore, i can move the /U01 FS to /U02 file system which will allow... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vitalwebsigns
7 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)