Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting omitting lines from file A that are in file B Post 302168516 by joeyg on Monday 18th of February 2008 04:29:19 PM
Old 02-18-2008
Tools not knowing what the real data looks like, but...

How about?
This would effectively break up everything into 26 smaller files based on the first character of the file, and assuming it is lowercase. (Or, depending on the format of your data, could be ten numeric groups, etc...)

for outch in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
do
cat fileb | grep ^"$outch" > fileb_"$outc"
done

while read zf
do
leadch=$(echo $zf | cut -c1-1)

now do lookup to appropriate file
use the just determined $leadch variable
and write if found/not found, as you like

done <filea

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra/parse lines from a file between unque lines through the file

I need help to parse a file where there are many records, all of which are consistently separated by lines containing “^=============” and "^ End of Report". Example: ============= 1 2 3 4 End of record ============= 1 3 4 End of record Etc.... I only need specific lines... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jouuu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings from one file which exactly match to the 1st column of other file and then print lines.

Hi, I have two files. 1st file has 1 column (huge file containing ~19200000 lines) and 2nd file has 2 columns (small file containing ~6000 lines). ################################# huge_file.txt a a ab b ################################## small_file.txt a 1.5 b 2.5 ab ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting sections of file that contain word

I have a configuration file that contains hundreds of these chunks. Each "chunk" is the section that begins with "define service {" and ends with "}". define service { check_command check_proc!java hostgroup_name service_description ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put the lines from file A to end of lines in file B

I really can't figure this one out. I have 2 files, one file is a list of hostnames and the other is a list of their corresponding IPs: fileA: example.com another.org thirdie.net fileB: 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 I want to create a fileC that looks like: example.com 1.1.1.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zstar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test': I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working: cat test |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files and create a result file with unmatched lines from first file.?

HI, I have 2 text files. file1 and file2. file1.txt (There are no duplicates in this file) 1234 3232 4343 3435 6564 6767 1213 file2.txt 1234,wq,wewe,qwqw 1234,as,dfdf,dfdf 4343,asas,sdds,dsds 6767,asas,fdfd,fdffd I need to search each number in file1.txt in file2.txt's 1st... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all lines in file such that each word on that line appears in at least n lines of the file

I have a file where every line includes four expressions with a caret in the middle (plus some other "words" or fields, always separated by spaces). I would like to extract from this file, all those lines such that each of the four expressions containing a caret appears in at least four different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uncleMonty
9 Replies
TERMCAP(3X)															       TERMCAP(3X)

NAME
tgetent, tgetnum, tgetflag, tgetstr, tgoto, tputs - terminal independent operation routines SYNOPSIS
char PC; char *BC; char *UP; short ospeed; tgetent(bp, name) char *bp, *name; tgetnum(id) char *id; tgetflag(id) char *id; char * tgetstr(id, area) char *id, **area; char * tgoto(cm, destcol, destline) char *cm; tputs(cp, affcnt, outc) register char *cp; int affcnt; int (*outc)(); DESCRIPTION
These functions extract and use capabilities from the terminal capability data base termcap(5). These are low level routines; see curses(3X) for a higher level package. Tgetent extracts the entry for terminal name into the buffer at bp. Bp should be a character buffer of size 1024 and must be retained through all subsequent calls to tgetnum, tgetflag, and tgetstr. Tgetent returns -1 if it cannot open the termcap file, 0 if the terminal name given does not have an entry, and 1 if all goes well. It will look in the environment for a TERMCAP variable. If found, and the value does not begin with a slash, and the terminal type name is the same as the environment string TERM, the TERMCAP string is used instead of reading the termcap file. If it does begin with a slash, the string is used as a path name rather than /etc/termcap. This can speed up entry into programs that call tgetent, as well as to help debug new terminal descriptions or to make one for your terminal if you can't write the file /etc/termcap. Tgetnum gets the numeric value of capability id, returning -1 if is not given for the terminal. Tgetflag returns 1 if the specified capa- bility is present in the terminal's entry, 0 if it is not. Tgetstr returns the string value of the capability id, places it in the buffer at area, and advances the area pointer. It decodes the abbreviations for this field described in termcap(5), except for cursor addressing and padding information. Tgetstr returns NULL if the capability was not found. Tgoto returns a cursor addressing string decoded from cm to go to column destcol in line destline. It uses the external variables UP (from the up capability) and BC (if bc is given rather than bs) if necessary to avoid placing , ^D or ^@ in the returned string. (Programs which call tgoto should be sure to turn off the XTABS bit(s), since tgoto may now output a tab. Note that programs using termcap should in general turn off XTABS anyway since some terminals use control I for other functions, such as nondestructive space.) If a % sequence is given which is not understood, then tgoto returns "OOPS". Tputs decodes the leading padding information of the string cp; affcnt gives the number of lines affected by the operation, or 1 if this is not applicable, outc is a routine which is called with each character in turn. The external variable ospeed should contain the output speed of the terminal as encoded by stty(3). The external variable PC should contain a pad character to be used (from the pc capability) if a null (^@) is inappropriate. FILES
/usr/lib/libtermcap.a -ltermcap library /etc/termcap data base SEE ALSO
ex(1), curses(3X), termcap(5) AUTHOR
William Joy 4th Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 TERMCAP(3X)