Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search for a file and get the next two files Post 302167896 by fimblo on Friday 15th of February 2008 07:18:13 PM
Old 02-15-2008
alternatively:
Code:
ls -tr1| grep -A2 SRSCLAR.IN12345

if you have a grep command which supports the -A flag (gnu grep does).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search a list of lines in file into files

I have a file (file1) which is like host1 host2 host3 host4 the list goes on............ Now I want the above lines in files to be compared with files under /opt/new/ File names are as below: Dev Prod QA And suppose host1 from file1 is found under Dev(file under /opt/new)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
2 Replies

3. SuSE

Search all files based on first and in all listed files search the second patterns

Hello Linux Masters, I am not a linux expert therefore i need help from linux gurus. Well i have a requirement where i need to search all files based on first patterns and after seraching all files then serach second pattern in all files which i have extracted based on first pattern.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Black-Linux
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search a pattern across all file and replace it to all files.

Hi All, HP-UX oradev3 B.11.11 U 9000/800 I have few files, which contain texts. Now I need to search a pattern across all files and replace to that pattern with new one. For example, I have following files they have, which contain something like abc@abc.com, now I need to search text acorss... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Search for files in a file and write these files to another file which sould be in some other direc

Hi , Need to shell script to extracts files names and write those to another file in different directory. input file is inputfile.txt abc|1|bcd.dat 123 david123 123 rudy2345 124 tinku5634 abc|1|def.dat 123 jevid123 123 qwer2345 124 ghjlk5634 abc|1|pqr.txt 123 vbjnnjh435 123 jggdy876... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for content in files. Name of files is in another file. Format as report.

Hi I have multiple files in a folder and one file which contains a list of files (one on each line). I was to search for a string only within these files and not the whole folder. I need the output to be in the form File1<tab>string instance 2<tab> string instance 2<tab>string instance 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

To search for files of paticular file mask.

how to find files of particular mask from a folder using shell script. for example if i have to find whether files having file mask like FILE%N%.csv ie files like FILE123.csv or files like FILE56.csv are present in the following folder or not. l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to search all entries from 1 file to all other separated files.

Hi, I am trying to create a shell script in unix platform, hence will need info on how to start and any ideas from you guys. million thx. Objective: Shell script to search all entries from 1 file(a.out) to all other files and extract the search output to 1 file (c.out). Situation, 1)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for string in a file then compare it with excel files entry

All, i have a file text.log: cover6 cover3 cover2 cover4 other file is abc.log as : 0 0 1 0 Then I have a excel file result.xls that contains: Name Path Pass cover2 cover3 cover6 cover4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to search all files for every string in another file

Hello All I have a pattern.txt file in source directory ((/project/source/) in linux server and data looks like: 123abc17 234cdf19 235ifg20 I have multiple log files in log directory (/project/log/) in linux server and data for one log file looks like: <?xml version="1.0" processid... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pred55
11 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)