Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell programming
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell programming Post 302166225 by vakharia Mahesh on Monday 11th of February 2008 11:06:49 AM
Old 02-11-2008
join

nivas
(1) sort the first field of file1
(2) same way sort the second file on the first field
(Assuming the first field's record length is same if digit is there use sort -n
if strings is there use sort -d and if both are there use sort -k , and you want to join on the first field.)
use the comd ->
join -1 1 -2 1 -t(the delimiter used ) -o 1.1 1.2 2.1 2.1 file1 file2 > file 3
Here 1.1 is the first filed of file1 and likewise .I hope it I have made it
clear .

Enjoy Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Programming

I have a fix_table.ksh script that takes a TABLENAME and a date. So, in jk_table_file.txt I have the tables...one per line, and in jk_out_file.txt I have the date in the format I need. The following doesn not 'want' to work in a shell script... for TABLE in `cat jk_table_file.txt`; do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWK1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Programming Help

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and hve been given a request to write a shell script. Is there any good places to go to see examples of how to write shell programming scripts? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mec585858
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming?

For what purposes should we use shell /what are the tasks we can achieve using shell which is best book to learn shell programming and will nayone tell me diff between shell programming aand shell scripting? Thank u in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrikrishna
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programming

I want notes for learning Shell programming (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neha Agarwal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

{} in shell programming

Could someone please tell me what {} mean when they surround a variable? For instance, $FILE = 'basename $1' //what is passed into this script $BANK = 'dirname $1' $INFILE = ${FILE}.${BANK}.$$ What does $INFILE contain after this assignment? Please let me know Thanks G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgirijanaidu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming

Hi, Iam new to shell program, I want to check a file which is having same lines 2 times and i want to display it in a seperate file. File format is : AQWERTYU|1234567890 ASDFGHJK|0987654321 ZXCVBNML|1098576453 AQWERTYU|1234567890 I need to take the 1st and 4th lines in the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL PROGRAMMING

Using shell scripting, implement ‘scan.sh' that scans the file system recursively starting from current working directory and generates the file ‘index.txt' that contains a line for each file (or directory) with following fields in tab separated format: 1. The full path of the directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kranthikiran
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming

Hi every one,i am new to unix.Can any one tell me about shell programming.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martina100011
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming

Hi, I am using two files - one file contains list of service name , other file contains commands for each of these service name . I have to read each service name and check this string in 1.cfg file , if it exists , then i have to read another file (commands file ) and take the string and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshks
2 Replies
join(1) 							   User Commands							   join(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a filenumber | -v filenumber] [-1 fieldnumber] [-2 fieldnumber] [-o list] [-e string] [-t char] file1 file2 join [-a filenumber] [-j fieldnumber] [-j1 fieldnumber] [-j2 fieldnumber] [-o list] [-e string] [-t char] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join command forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. This format can be changed by using the -o option (see below). The -a option can be used to add unmatched lines to the output. The -v option can be used to output only unmatched lines. The default input field separators are blank, tab, or new-line. In this case, multiple separators count as one field separator, and leading separators are ignored. The default output field separator is a blank. If the input files are not in the appropriate collating sequence, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
Some of the options below use the argument filenumber. This argument should be a 1 or a 2 referring to either file1 or file2, respectively. -a filenumber In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file filenumber, where filenumber is 1 or 2. If both -a 1 and -a 2 are specified, all unpairable lines will be output. -e string Replace empty output fields in the list selected by option -o with the string string. -j fieldnumber Equivalent to -1fieldnumber -2fieldnumber. -j1 fieldnumber Equivalent to -1fieldnumber. -j2 fieldnumber Equivalent to -2fieldnumber. Fields are numbered starting with 1. -o list Each output line includes the fields specified in list. Fields selected by list that do not appear in the input will be treated as empty output fields. (See the -e option.) Each element of which has the either the form filenumber.fieldnum- ber, or 0, which represents the join field. The common field is not printed unless specifically requested. -t char Use character char as a separator. Every appearance of char in a line is significant. The character char is used as the field separator for both input and output. With this option specified, the collating term should be the same as sort without the -b option. -v filenumber Instead of the default output, produce a line only for each unpairable line in filenumber, where filenumber is 1 or 2. If both -v 1 and -v 2 are specified, all unpairable lines will be output. -1 fieldnumber Join on the fieldnumberth field of file 1. Fields are decimal integers starting with 1. -2fieldnumber Join on the fieldnumberth field of file 2. Fields are decimal integers starting with 1. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 file2 A path name of a file to be joined. If either of the file1 or file2 operands is -, the standard input is used in its place. file1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing collating sequence as determined by LC_COLLATE on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line (see sort(1)). USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of join when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Joining the password file and group file The following command line will join the password file and the group file, matching on the numeric group ID, and outputting the login name, the group name and the login directory. It is assumed that the files have been sorted in ASCII collating sequence on the group ID fields. example% join -j1 4-j2 3 -o 1.1 2.1 1.6 -t:/etc/passwd /etc/group Example 2 Using the -o option The -o 0 field essentially selects the union of the join fields. For example, given file phone: !Name Phone Number Don +1 123-456-7890 Hal +1 234-567-8901 Yasushi +2 345-678-9012 and file fax: !Name Fax Number Don +1 123-456-7899 Keith +1 456-789-0122 Yasushi +2 345-678-9011 where the large expanses of white space are meant to each represent a single tab character), the command: example% join -t"tab" -a 1 -a 2 -e '(unknown)' -o 0,1.2,2.2 phone fax would produce !Name Phone Number Fax Number Don +1 123-456-7890 +1 123-456-7899 Hal +1 234-567-8901 (unknown Keith (unknown) +1 456-789-012 Yasushi +2 345-678-9012 +2 345-678-9011 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of join: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, LC_COLLATE, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of the join, sort, comm, uniq, and awk commands are wildly incongruous. SunOS 5.11 8 Feb 2000 join(1)