Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with showing the difference in two lines of input Post 302166158 by drl on Monday 11th of February 2008 06:38:06 AM
Old 02-11-2008
Hi.

This command may be available to you:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate "word" differences.

#  ____
# /
# |   Infrastructure BEGIN

echo
set -o nounset

debug=":"
debug="echo"

## The shebang using "env" line is designed for portability. For
#  higher security, use:
#
#  #!/bin/sh -

## Use local command version for the commands in this demonstration.

set +o nounset
echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version =o $(_eat $0 $1) wdiff
set -o nounset

echo

a=${1-data1}
echo " Input file $a:"
cat $a
b=${2-data2}
echo " Input file $b:"
cat $b

# |   Infrastructure END
# \
#  ---

echo
echo " Results from processing:"

wdiff -3 $a $b

exit 0

Code:
Producing:
% ./s1 data3 data4

(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
Linux 2.6.11-x1
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)
GNU wdiff 0.5

Input file data3:
1 2 3 4 5 80 90
 Input file data4:
1 2 3 4 5 6 80 90

Results from processing:

======================================================================
 {+6+}
======================================================================

See man wdiff for details ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count showing wrong number of lines

Hi , I am using SUN OS Version 5.6. I have a file that contains records of length 270. when I do 'set nu' in vi editor, I get the count as 86. whereas when I do "wc -l" on the command prompt, it shows the count as only 85. this is very strange. why would the 'wc' show 1 record less. The job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting lines and showing the output

First time poster - I have a huge file and i want to sort and compress it to something more readable Ex: FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 3 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 9 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 21 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 22 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 23 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 5 24 FUTNCA01-SL1 DMT8a4 6 2... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk help in calulating difference for last two lines

Hi all, I have a requirement for a script to find out the increase in memory. We have a log native_stderr.log where this will log. bash-2.05$ tail -40 native_stderr.log | grep ': freed' <GC(4140): freed 168190456 bytes, 66% free (180990488/271776256), in 253 ms> <GC(4141): freed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between 1 st fields from consicutive lines

13608:End of Tests. 13811:End of Tests. 14014:End of Tests. 14217:End of Tests. 14420:End of Tests. 14623:End of Tests. 14826:End of Tests. 15029:End of Tests. 15232:End of Tests. 15435:End of Tests. 15638:End of Tests. i have file like above. i want difference betwwn first field of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing the first 4 lines of a file?

Is there a way to show the first 4 lines of a file without using head -4? In sed would it be sed '1,4d' ? What if I just wanted to display the 2nd line ONLY? How could this be done with AWK?...correctly with SED? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script or command to differentiate difference between two input file?

I got two file write now. Input file 1: >data_1 DSFDFDSGFDSGSGEGTRTRERPOYIORPGKKGDSPKFSDKFPSDKFSPFS >data_34 WEEREREWREWOIQOPIEPDSKLFNDSFNSKNCASKJHDAFHAOUDFEOWWIOUFEWIUEWIRUEWIRUEWIORUEWOREWR >data_21 ASDASDQWEQWRQERFWPOTGIUWEIPOFIOFDSNFKSJDNFSKDHFKDSJHFKDSJHF >data_4... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : code on ping showing difference result

Hi all, I am using the below code to ping a code and print whehter the connection is successful or not. use Net::Ping; $p = Net::Ping->new(); my $host = "x.x.x.x"; # print "$host is alive.\n" if $p->ping($host); if ($p->ping($host,3)) { print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is difference between this two lines in script?

Hi Guys, What is difference between this two lines in script logger -p daemon.info -t postback Starting /opt/local/bin/backup-report and /opt/local/bin/backup-report is the backu script running twice here? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference between two lines

i grepped the time stamp in a file as given below now i need to calculate time difference file data: 18:29:10 22:15:50 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)