Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The output file is empty. Please Help Post 302163036 by balzzz on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 11:35:07 PM
Old 01-31-2008
The one that I specified is already the complete path. But it still doesn't work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change output if file is empty

I'm very new to writing scripts, so here is my problem...I have the following code already written (in perl) system "rm file2"; open(FILE2, ">file2"); open(MYINPUTFILE, "file"); while(<MYINPUTFILE>) { my($line) = $_; chomp($line); print file2 "$line\n"; print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddrew78
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

empty option output error

I have a script (multirun.sh) which launches the program bsim_em.x or bsim_es.x depending on the value entered from the screen: > multirun.sh 1 (executes bsim_em.x) > multirun.sh 2 (executes bsim_es.x) which, simplifying, I do with the following lines in the multirun.sh script: if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output only non-empty arguments

Hello, I am VERY new to shell scripting here, so please go easy. I have an assignment that requires creating a script using bash shell, outputting all command line arguments that are not empty ones such as " ", and showing total number of arguments. I know how to show the total with $# and all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moderwarfare
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer output to empty file?

Hi all, I want transfer the echo data into file.txt.how? echo " $dir $group " >> ${file.txt} ---------- Post updated at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:10 PM ---------- anybody can help ? i mean in script output like echo " hello" i want transfer that output to file.txt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proghack
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sent output to email and empty folder at same time

Hi all, i want to sent output to email and folder at same time. This is my code : echo "Hello" | mailx -s "${SUBJECT}" "${email_add}" >> ${file} I only can sent output to my email but cannot sent to my empty folder....can i know how to done it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proghack
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk runs but output is empty

The awk below runs, however the output file is 0 bytes. It is basically matching input files that are 21 - 259 records to a file of 11,137,660 records. Basically, what it does is use the input files of which there are 4 to search and match in a large 11,000,000 record file and output the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Parsing null or empty output

I am working an some if then statements for a script. I want to be able to check for alpha characters or empty out put then exit out. if ]]; echo "Serial Number Invaild" then exit 3; How do I account if the output is empty or null in this in this statement. Many thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andysensible
6 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [-Rnprsu [n]] [arg]... ksh93 print [-Renprs] [-f format] [-u fd] [string...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. When no options are specified, or when an option followed by ' a - is specified, or when just - is specified, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). ksh93 By default, print writes each string operand to standard output and appends a NEWLINE character. Unless, the -r, -R, or -f option is speciifed, each character in each string operand is processed specially as follows: a Alert character.  Backspace character. c Terminate output without appending NEWLINE. The remaining string operands are ignored. E Escape character (ASCII octal 033). f FORM FEED character. NEWLINE character. Tab character. v Vertical tab character. \ Backslash character. x The 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, or 3-digit octal number x. OPTIONS
ksh The following options are supported by ksh: -n Suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -r-R Raw mode. Ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option prints all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p Cause the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s Cause the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] Specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output is placed. The default is 1. ksh93 The following options are supported by ksh93: -e Unless -f is specified, process sequences in each string operand as described above. This is the default behavior. If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -f format Write the string arguments using the format string format and do not append a NEWLINE. See printf(1) for details on how to specify format. When the -f option is specified and there are more string operands than format specifiers, the format string is reprocessed from the beginning. If there are fewer string operands than format specifiers, then outputting ends at the first unneeded for- mat specifier. -n Do not append a NEWLINE character to the output. -p Write to the current co-process instead of standard output. -r Do not process sequences in each string operand as described above. -R If both -e and -r are specified, the last one specified is the one that is used. -s Write the output as an entry in the shell history file instead of standard output. -u fd Write to file descriptor number fd instead of standard output. The default value is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), printf(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Mar 2008 print(1)