Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix 10.2 Backup Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix 10.2 Backup Problem Post 302162557 by fozzybear on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 09:50:35 AM
Old 01-29-2008
Unix 10.2 Backup Problem

We have an older HP Unix 10.20 system that we rarely ever use anymore. Most of our jobs on it are from 1994 to 2002. Anything after that is on Windows XP. The Unix system was backed up religiously every day. Because of space constraints some of the jobs were removed from the system after a complete tape backup.

About a year ago the tape backup failed internally. (A spring and tray mechanism that ejects the tape). We ordered a new one that was identical to the old and hooked it up and tried to backup. Everything worked ok. The problem we have is now two fold. Any old tapes we have, including the archive stuff removed from the system, doesn't seem to work with this tape drive. It keeps giving the “out of phase” error. I was in the process of trying some of the other backups we have that are even older to find this one particular job when we developed another problem. As soon as I enter the command to restore something off of the tape I get the following message:

“End of Volume”
“If you want to go one, type device/file name when ready”

I have restarted the system and still get this message. It is not even hitting the tape drive or trying the tape.

The command to backup the system originally is:

Find filename | cpio -ovxdB > /dev/dds

The command I am using to restore is:

cpio -ivxdB ‘filename' < /dev/dds

Or

cpio -ivxdBR ‘filename' < /dev/dds

System is using HP Unix 10.20 with DAT tape drive

To summarize problem 1 is an out of phase error on older tapes with new backup drive. Problem 2 developed after man attempts to solve problem 1 and gives the “End of Volume” message after immediately starting restore sequence.

Any help would be appreciated as I am no UNIX or Computer Expert.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup problem

Hi all what may be the cause when i try to restore the backup (TAR) It's giving error tar block size =1 directory checksum error please suggest as soon as possible try n learn praful (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I am running my solstice backup 5.5.1 server on a solaris 2.6 platform. I have a remote client ; my mailserver also running solaris 2.6. I created a unique pool and group for my mailserver, but when i label to pool, mount and run backup, it doesnt backup my mailserver, rather it gives me error... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I tried backing up my mailserver on my nsrhost using solstice backup 5.5.1 software. After creating the usual custom settings, and starting the backup procedure using the group control button, backup initializes but the group backup becomes suspended. When i click on the details radio button in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup script

Hi, Following is the script I made for backing up Cpanel server. ================================================ #! /bin/bash rsync -raopguzl --delete --exclude "*.tar.gz" --progress --delete-excluded root@$hostname:/$otherdir/$i/ /mnt/iscsi/$hostname/home/$i done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

problem in backup

Hi I am using Ubuntu back up program to the back up automatic. Problem is that recently the app start to fail. I get the following message: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1359, in <module> with_tempdir(main) File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1342,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Backup setting problem

the way that i use to backup my server is using the script below in ssh. mysqldump --opt -Q -u username -p password > /var/www/squiro/sql/database.sql but i want to set the server backup everyday at 1pm in same folder. is that set it in crontab-e? how to set it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mampwamp
3 Replies
TAPEFS(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TAPEFS(1)

NAME
32vfs, cpiofs, tapfs, tarfs, tpfs, v6fs, v10fs - mount archival file systems SYNOPSIS
fs/32vfs [ -m mountpoint ] [ -p passwd ] [ -g group ] file fs/cpiofs fs/tapfs fs/tarfs fs/tpfs fs/v6fs fs/v10fs DESCRIPTION
These commands interpret data from traditional tape or file system formats stored in file, and mount their contents (read-only) into a Plan 9 file system. The optional -p and -g flags specify Unix-format password (respectively group) files that give the mapping between the numeric user- and group-ID numbers on the media and the strings reported by Plan 9 status inquiries. The -m flag introduces the name at which the new file system should be attached; the default is /n/tapefs. 32vfs interprets raw disk images of 32V systems, which are ca. 1978 research Unix systems for the VAX, and also pre-FFS Berkeley VAX sys- tems (1KB block size). Cpiofs interprets cpio tape images (constructed with cpio's c flag). Tarfs interprets tar tape images. Tpfs interprets tp tapes from the Fifth through Seventh Edition research Unix systems. Tapfs interprets tap tapes from the pre-Fifth Edition era. V6fs interprets disk images from the Fifth and Sixth edition research Unix systems (512B block size). V10fs interprets disk images from the Tenth Edition research Unix systems (4KB block size). SOURCE
These commands are constructed in a highly stereotyped way using the files fs.c and util.c in /sys/src/cmd/tapefs, which in turn derive substantially from ramfs(4). SEE ALSO
Section 5 passim, ramfs(4). TAPEFS(1)