Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Darwinports question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Darwinports question Post 302161180 by fishman on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 11:23:10 PM
Old 01-24-2008
Darwinports question

I installed darwinports in X11 under mac OSX 10.4.11. I can install ports through the terminal from darwinports alright. It install all of it's files in
/opt/local. I downloaded a source tarball of an addon to sawfish, when I configure the install. what do I use to show the path as /opt/local. Also do I put addons or themes into the /opt/local/bin directory, s different directory or do I create my own directory?

Thanks for any help to a newbie!Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Next Question:

what is the function of swap in linux why i have to create apsolutely a particion for the swap when i install (i installed lnx4win mandrake and made an automat. disk particion and the install program one of my disk partitions that was 3gb devidet in 4 one native 700mb swap 600mb and the others i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user666
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another question?

what happens if the script doesn't get Y,y,N, or n? Will it just loop back up and ask the question again? I tried to get mine to give me another response to tell me my input was invalid, but ran into problems with it. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

4. Programming

OK another question...

Ok i am looking to start coding for an online text game, The game is called Ansalon for those who are interested *The original, not to be confused with the newer Ansalon* And i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of where i can go to start looking at information for that.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question?

Is there any way to use sed and count the number of alphabetic characters in a sentence? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in ls question

Greetings, I have a script that uses this syntax: for i in `ls *.pll` do echo Compiling Lib $i ..... frmcmp.sh userid=$LOGON module_type=LIBRARY module=$i compile_all=yes batch=yes done mv *.pll ../libs mv *.plx ../libs mv *.err ../libs If there are no files that match though I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdbhouse
9 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

gftp won't launch properly after installing using darwinports

Hello, I installed gftp using darwinports on Snow Leopard. Install appeared to go fine with no errors. When trying to launch gftp by starting X11, then typing /opt/local/bin/gftp in the terminal, nothing happens until about 30 minutes later when only a partial window appears. I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc question

I am new to unix. how to get only the no. of lines output from the wc -l command. Input: wc -l filename it gives <no.of lines> filename i need only the interger value. as <no.of lines> Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
2 Replies
MAN.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       MAN.CONF(5)

NAME
man.conf -- man(1) and manpath(1) configuration files DESCRIPTION
The man.conf file is used to configure the manual search path, locales, and utility set for man(1) and its related utilities. During ini- tialization, man(1) reads the configuration files located at /usr/local/etc/man.d/*.conf and /etc/man.conf. The files contained in /usr/local/etc/man.d/*.conf are intended to be used by the ports(7) system for extending the manual set to support additional paths and locales. /etc/man.conf is intended to be used by the local administrator to set additional policy. Currently supported configuration variables include: MANCONFIG Overrides the default location to import additional manual configuration files. Defaults to /usr/local/etc/man.d/*.conf. MANPATH Adds the specified directory to the manual search path. MANLOCALE Indicates support is available for the given locale. For pages in a given language, overriding the default toolset for display is supported via the following definitions: EQN_LANG NROFF_LANG PIC_LANG TBL_LANG TROFF_LANG REFER_LANG VGRIND_LANG See the EXAMPLES section for how to use these variables. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The parser used for this utility is very basic and only supports comment characters (#) at the beginning of a line. FILES
/etc/man.conf System configuration file. /usr/local/etc/man.d/*.conf Local configuration files. EXAMPLES
A perl port that needs to install additional manual pages outside of the default location could install a file in /usr/local/etc/man.d/perl.conf with the following contents: # Add perl man pages to search path MANPATH /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/man MANPATH /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/perl/man A Japanese localization port could install a custom toolset and include a file in /usr/local/etc/man.d/ja-man-doc.conf with the following contents: # Setup Japanese toolset MANLOCALE ja_JP.eucJP EQN_JA /usr/local/bin/geqn PIC_JA /usr/local/bin/gpic TBL_JA /usr/local/bin/gtbl NROFF_JA /usr/local/bin/groff -man -dlang=ja_JP.eucJP TROFF_JA /usr/local/bin/groff -man -dlang=ja_JP.euc.jp If the system administrator decides to override the LOCALBASE make(1) variable causing all ports(7) to be installed into /opt instead of /usr/local, specifying the following in /etc/man.conf will accommodate this change: # Look for additional configuration files MANCONFIG /opt/etc/man.d/*.conf SEE ALSO
apropos(1), man(1), manpath(1), whatis(1) BSD
June 3, 2011 BSD