Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Progress
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Progress Post 302160268 by adderek on Monday 21st of January 2008 09:32:51 AM
Old 01-21-2008
this should work (just fill red parts)

typeset goto_x_y=...
typeset char='/|\-'
typeset -i tick=0
while [[ create your own condition ]] ;do
print -- "${goto_x_y}${char[${tick}]}"
tick=$tick+1
[[ $tick -gt 3 ]] && tick=0
done

Usually you should be able to use backspace instead of goto_x_y Smilie

I have not tested this but it should work.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

progress bar

i am trying to write a script where in it will connect to remote servers and execute remote scripts to fetch some data and ftp it back to a main server. i would like to add a script where it will show some sort of status bar until such time that the expected files have been recieved. something... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

progress bar

Hi all, I want to print # like that in a progress bar.. For e.g We can notice that during installation ... but,how to do that? Thnx, sakthi. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking cp progress

Hi gurus. I wonder if there is some command that will help me to determing the progress of cp. I'm copying huge amount of files, and through the ps x -uoracle see, that it goes 1771 pts/6 S+ 0:37 cp 1_2600_617913793.arc 37 minutes. Is there command, that helps determing on what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarGur
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to have a cp progress bar?

Hi all, This is a reformed post to my earlier ones!!!!!! I would like to know how to include a progress bar while using the cp... I am copying a few huge files from cdrom but am unable to figure out ,how to give a progress bar!!!!! I checked out other sites as well,but the issue here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi friends, how can I show a progress bar for any running process in the shell script. For example when I am copying or compressing a file. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

progress bar

hi all, in shell script (ksh), how do i write a progress bar ?? i have a script which searches files and while its searching i am currently printing out "." and if it finds what its searching for the script prints out the name of the file e.g .................. firstFile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Progress update

Please excuse my long absence from the Unix and Linux Forums, but I have been busy at school getting my CIW Associate Certificate. I have also been in the process of designing my own business cards, stationary and envelopes for Prudent Technologies the company I have started with modest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FloridaBSD
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi Experts; Im in the process of writing a shell script for enabling an IT operations to run archiving.We use netbackup. The script is complete, though there is one bit that i need help on. Im trying to have a progess bar for the procedure.I have gone through the man page of the command in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies
elfdump(1)							   User Commands							elfdump(1)

NAME
elfdump - dumps selected parts of an object file SYNOPSIS
elfdump [-cCdegGhHiklmnprsuvy] [-N name] [-w file] filename... DESCRIPTION
The elfdump utility symbolically dumps selected parts of the specified object file(s). The options allow specific portions of the file to be displayed. The elfdump utility is similar in function to the dump(1) utility. The dump utility offers an older and less user-friendly interface than elfdump, although dump might be more appropriate for certain uses such as in shell scripts. Archive files, produced by ar(1), can also be inspected with elfdump. In this case, each object within the archive is processed using the options supplied. For a complete description of the displayed information, refer to the Linker and Libraries Guide. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Dumps section header information. -C Demangles C++ symbol names. -d Dumps the contents of the .dynamic section. -e Dumps the ELF header. -g Dumps the contents of the .group section. -G Dumps the contents of the .got section. -h Dumps the contents of the .hash section. -H Dumps the contents of the .SUNW_cap hardware and software capabilities section. -i Dumps the contents of the .interp section. -k Calculates the ELF checksum. See gelf_checksum(3ELF). -l Displays long section names without truncation. -m Dumps the contents of the .SUNW_move section. -n Dumps the contents of the .note section. -N name Qualifies an option with a specific name. For example, in a file that contains more than one symbol table, the .dynsym ta- ble can be displayed using: example% elfdump -s -N .dynsym filename -p Dumps the program headers. -r Dumps the contents of the .rel[a] relocation sections. -s Dumps the contents of the .dynsym and .symtab symbol table sections. For archives, the archive symbol table is also dumped. Individual sections can be specified with the -N option. An archive symbol table can be specified using the special section name -N ARSYM. In the case of core files, the shndx field will have the value "unknown" since the field does not contain the valid values. In addition to the standard symbol table information, the version definition index of the symbol is also provided under the ver heading. -u Dumps the contents of a frame unwind. -v Dumps the contents of the .SUNW_version version sections. -w file Writes the contents of a section that is specified with the -N option, to the named file. For example, extracting the .text section of a file can be carried out with: example% elfdump -w text.out -N .text filename -y Dumps the contents of the .SUNW_syminfo section. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: filename The name of the specified object file. FILES
liblddbg.so linker debugging library ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ar(1), dump(1), nm(1), pvs(1), elf(3ELF), attributes(5) Linker and Libraries Guide SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2004 elfdump(1)