Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Clarification on .cshrc,.exrc,.login,.profile,.sh_history files Post 302153954 by RTM on Thursday 27th of December 2007 12:05:53 PM
Old 12-27-2007
If the directory is a home directory of an account, then those files are probably being used. Best not to delete them.

And root should be able to delete those files.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why i have local.profile, local.cshrc,local.login instead of .profile, .login ?

Hello again ! Thanks for response of my first question. there is my second quesiton why i have local.profile instead of .profile file ? my all files in pwd shoes local. before any file. is anybody can tell me about that ? Thanks Abid Malik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.cshrc and .login overwritten !!

Hi, My account is : abcd I belong to a group: pqrs Some thing straneg happened yesterday. My .cshrc and .login got overwritten into pqrs's .cshrc and .login I obviously did not explicitly overwrite pqrs's .cshrc. Are there any reasons how this could have happened indirectly due to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjthomas
5 Replies

3. Programming

Clarification abt .profile,config,env

Hi, I need to know the purpose of .profile,config and env file . what is the 1)similarties 2)difference between these 3. If env is not a file, when we give command env we are getting some information, from where or which file we are getting this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
0 Replies

4. AIX

history .sh_history sh_history

hi what's the difference between .sh_history and sh_history for root user? thanks itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Dear experts ... Please any one can describe the diffrence between this three 1) . cshrc 2) .profile 3) .login cheers syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Hi.. i was just looking to know the diffrence between this three terms 1) .cshrc 2) .login 3) .profle but iam failed to findout the exact diffrent Please can any one share the diffrence between this regards Syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in setting .profile , .cshrc , .exerc ..... in HP-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX

I need help in settings to Hp-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX .. I worked on Linux previously ... now i am working on Hp-UX , Solaris , AIX-UX .. up/down arrow , to see history of previous command (basically to modify ) and few keyboard keys are different ... so i need to set .profile , .cshrc , ... to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girija
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explaining some lines from files : .login and .cshrc

Hello, can anyone explain me please what do those lines do ? From file .login 1) set history=40 2) setenv MACH `uname -s` 3) source /etc/login 4) source ~/$MACH/.login From file .cshrc 1) if ( ! $?prompt) exit 0 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbqtoss
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login profile[solved]

i vi .profile Set DATE `date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, but after logout/login, echo $DATE, it shows: Fri Mar 23 15:01:53 EDT 2012, i want to show: 032320121501 please ignore. vi /etc/profile, and export DATE=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M`, worked fine now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
0 Replies
userdel(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user's login from the system SYNOPSIS
userdel [-r] login DESCRIPTION
The userdel utility deletes a user account from the system and makes the appropriate account-related changes to the system file and file system. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -r Remove the user's home directory from the system. This directory must exist. The files and directories under the home directory will no longer be accessible following successful execution of the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: login An existing login name to be deleted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the userdel command is displayed. 6 The account to be removed does not exist. 8 The account to be removed is in use. 10 Cannot update the /etc/group or /etc/user_attr file but the login is removed from the /etc/passwd file. 12 Cannot remove or otherwise modify the home directory. FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/shadow system file contain users' encrypted passwords and related information /etc/group system file containing group definitions /etc/user_attr system file containing additional user attributes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), passwd(1), profiles(1), roles(1), users(1B), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The userdel utility only deletes an account definition that is in the local /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/user_attr file. file. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/passwd file with additional entries, userdel cannot change information supplied by the network name service. SunOS 5.11 8 Sep 1999 userdel(1M)