Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using Linux on/in a home network Post 302152653 by cassj on Thursday 20th of December 2007 05:21:15 PM
Old 12-20-2007
I would suggest you ask your Mandriva and Ubuntu questions in their respective forums.

Ubuntu Forums
Mandriva Club Forum

Cheers....Cassj

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

home network not working!

i just linked 2 100MHz Linux kernel 2.4.2 boxes togeather using a direct cable connection, on two 3Com PCI network cards, using the EtherLink III chipset. Unfortuanately, when I boot both PCs, i get a loading interface: eth0 for five minutes, then a failed flag. No networking suppt. in windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

XP Pro: home network

having trouble with my home XP Network. I have 2 machine running xp but the server cant access or see the second computer. Both can ping each other and i have file and printer sharing installed. HD'S are sharded. Any ideas ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network

Sometimes you get the tiger...but sometimes he get you and this latest home network “project” of mine has gnawed on me pretty badly. Perhaps you can offer some technical help. It will be heartily appreciated. I have a small home network initially comprising two computers running Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annatar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to configure routing on home network

I have a Windows laptop and a Sparc desktop. I'm trying to toy around with routing. If have always on broadband from BT. My router ipaddress is: 192.168.1.1 This router uses DHCP. My Laptop Ip is as follows: Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kongowea
2 Replies

5. Linux

Need help w/home network

Hello world! I'm writing to you from Chile, Southamerica, and need a little help with my tiny home netwk. Hope you can give me a hand because this thing is breaking my balls. This is what i have: 1 windows box with XP pro (server) 1 linux box with DSL (box) 1 wrt54gl router with dd-wrt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juanpedro
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

ssh into home network

I am trying to ssh from my computer at work into my home PC. My work computer is running mac os x 10.6.3, home PC is running ubuntu. At home I have multiple PC's hooked up through a router and modem. I have gone into the router settings and set up port forwarding to forward ports 22 and 175 to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluejayek
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

Help building a home network needed.

I have one computer with internet connection and printers that I would like to connect to another computer to use as a practice/test Server. I would like the server to access the other computer by a direct connection of some sort because I don't see the point of aquiring the hardward (ethernet... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

DHCP and DNS on a home network

Let's say I have a home network containing a server that acts as the resident gateway and serves dhcp and dns requests. Laptop A is frequently connected and disconnected from the network as it is used as a travel computer. Is there a secure way to make sure that whenever laptop A is connected to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zygomorph
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a home network for learning Linux

I am working on learning Linux, and somebody suggested setting up Linux on a separate computer, and searching for answers to whatever may be needed, on a different computer plugged in to the Internet. I have a Windows 7 PC, plugged in to a cable modem, and an old notebook, Compaq Presario R3000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdultFoundry
5 Replies
PTY(7)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    PTY(7)

NAME
pty - pseudo-terminal interfaces DESCRIPTION
A pseudo-terminal is a pair of virtual character devices that provide a bidirectional communication channel. One end of the channel is called the master; the other end is called the slave. The slave end of the pseudo-terminal provides an interface that behaves exactly like a classical terminal. A process that expects to be connected to a terminal, can open the slave end of a pseudo-terminal and then be driven by a program that has opened the master end. Anything that is written on the master end is provided to the process on the slave end as though it was input typed on a terminal. For example, writing the interrupt character (usually control-C) to the master device would cause an interrupt signal (SIGINT) to be generated for the foreground process group that is connected to the slave. Conversely, anything that is written to the slave end of the pseudo-terminal can be read by the process that is connected to the master end. Pseudo-terminals are used by applications such as network login services (ssh(1), rlogin(1), telnet(1)), terminal emulators, script(1), screen(1), and expect(1). Historically, two pseudo-terminal APIs have evolved: BSD and System V. SUSv1 standardized a pseudo-terminal API based on the System V API, and this API should be employed in all new programs that use pseudo-terminals. Linux provides both BSD-style and (standardized) System V-style pseudo-terminals. System V-style terminals are commonly called Unix 98 pseudo-terminals on Linux systems. Since kernel 2.6.4, BSD-style pseudo-terminals are considered deprecated (they can be disabled when configuring the kernel); Unix 98 pseudo-terminals should be used in new applications. Unix 98 pseudo-terminals An unused Unix 98 pseudo-terminal master is opened by calling posix_openpt(3). (This function opens the master clone device, /dev/ptmx; see pts(4).) After performing any program-specific initializations, changing the ownership and permissions of the slave device using grantpt(3), and unlocking the slave using unlockpt(3)), the corresponding slave device can be opened by passing the name returned by ptsname(3) in a call to open(2). The Linux kernel imposes a limit on the number of available Unix 98 pseudo-terminals. In kernels up to and including 2.6.3, this limit is configured at kernel compilation time (CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS), and the permitted number of pseudo-terminals can be up to 2048, with a default setting of 256. Since kernel 2.6.4, the limit is dynamically adjustable via /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max, and a corresponding file, /proc/sys/kernel/pty/nr, indicates how many pseudo-terminals are currently in use. For further details on these two files, see proc(5). BSD pseudo-terminals BSD-style pseudo-terminals are provided as precreated pairs, with names of the form /dev/ptyXY (master) and /dev/ttyXY (slave), where X is a letter from the 16-character set [p-za-e], and Y is a letter from the 16-character set [0-9a-f]. (The precise range of letters in these two sets varies across Unix implementations.) For example, /dev/ptyp1 and /dev/ttyp1 constitute a BSD pseudo-terminal pair. A process finds an unused pseudo-terminal pair by trying to open(2) each pseudo-terminal master until an open succeeds. The corresponding pseudo- terminal slave (substitute "tty" for "pty" in the name of the master) can then be opened. FILES
/dev/ptmx (Unix 98 master clone device) /dev/pts/* (Unix 98 slave devices) /dev/pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f] (BSD master devices) /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f] (BSD slave devices) NOTES
A description of the TIOCPKT ioctl(2), which controls packet mode operation, can be found in tty_ioctl(4). The BSD ioctl(2) operations TIOCSTOP, TIOCSTART, TIOCUCNTL, and TIOCREMOTE have not been implemented under Linux. SEE ALSO
select(2), setsid(2), forkpty(3), openpty(3), termios(3), pts(4), tty(4), tty_ioctl(4) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2005-10-10 PTY(7)