Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem to make a crontab -l
Operating Systems Solaris problem to make a crontab -l Post 302151743 by javierg on Monday 17th of December 2007 05:56:34 AM
Old 12-17-2007
problem to make a crontab -l

Hello everyone, this is the first i write in the forum, hope i can help ,
but now i have a problem
There must be something wrong in my machine. I installed ( years ago ) an application (NEP) and when I try to show the backup scheduled in crontab the systems says i have no privilegies to do that. I log in like root. Although i can't show the backup scheduled I can add new sentences in crontab.

I do not understand what can be the problem.Help??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Crontab

I have a problem with crontab. I made a class file name Mailer.class. When I run it at command line like this: $ java Mailer It runs very well and I got the email. But If I put it in a crontab line like this: 30 11 * * * java Mailer It doesn't work. Every time the cron job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qhuynh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Crontab

I have a server running 5.9 and I'm trying to cron in the following. 00 01 * * 7 cd /data/apache/logs && find . -type f -name "access.*" -mtime +1 -print |xargs rm > /dev/null 2>&1 But I keep get the following error.... 00 01 * * 7 cd /data/apache/logs && find . -type f -name "access.*"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with crontab

i added to my crontab file: * * * * * echo "hello" it works, i receive a message into my /var/mail/username and i receive: bob in addition to a large text add-on any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab problem

hi all while using crontab -e im receiving 754 as output im unable to add a entry in crontab crontab -l is working fine OS: sun5.8 can some one please assist me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in crontab

Hi All, Am facing an issue while updating the crontab.Getting below error while updating the cron. cron/tmp.XXXX5fXBR6: No space left on device crontab: edits left in /tmp/crontab.XXXXEJX5gw Is there any file where i need to alter using root user so that i can update the cron. TIA... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab problem

hi.. i have a program (tf.sh), and i want what it runs automatically with a "lapsus" of 2 hours. (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 hrs.) i know what i have to do it using crontab, but i donīt know how to do it. i have the next idea, but the problem is what it doesnīt run on my server... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab - how to make time range?

im puting script in crontab, script is executing every 15min, every day, every monath but i must make time range from 0:00 - 20:00 <> 20:30 - 0:00 or if i cant make 20:30 then 0:00 - 20:00 <> 21:00- 0:00 can i make it in single line like this? 7,22,37,52 0-23 * * * test.sh >/dev/null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
3 Replies

8. Solaris

crontab problem

online* 22:25:22 svc:/system/cron:default cron service not able to start i tried to disble it is not working. showing online* status. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
1 Replies

9. Solaris

problem with crontab

hi all does any on has explanation for this result bash-3.00$ crontab -e "/var/tmp/Ex1kayUW" No space left on device The crontab file was not changed. bash-3.00$ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmannix
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make entries in crontab file

I have created a shell script "abcd.sh" and script should run after every 10 min., For that I will create below entry in the crontab file by using command crontab -e */10 * * * * /cdr/work/proc_raw/abcd.sh >> /dev/null 2>&1 I wish to know whether above entry is correct or I have to make entry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD