Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bourne: search for a non-numeric character in $VAR Post 302151311 by lumix on Friday 14th of December 2007 11:46:24 AM
Old 12-14-2007
Bourne: search for a non-numeric character in $VAR

if $1 = "123x456", how can I test for the non-numeric character 'x' in that string. I've tried expr with "[^0-9]" but it did not find the x. Any ideas? Can this perhaps be done with sed?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check first character in var's value.

Currently my script works like this: DATE_dd=5 # Assume this is user input. (User can enter 1, 2, 3, .. 10, 11, 12) if ; then DATE_D=" ${DATE_dd}" file_name="${DATE_yyyy}${DATE_mm}0${DATE_dd}.csv" else DATE_D=${DATE_dd} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

:-) 1213: Character to numeric conversion error. Plz help

Dear friends, I am new to Unix/Linux. I am trying to run following query but getting an error msg... Please can u people help me in this? Query: echo "select status_ac from db_acct where acct_num=AAA000337" | dbaccess elstest Error: 217: Column (amd000337) not found in any table in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning (numeric) command output to var tcsh

Hello, I'm trying to assign a numeric value that is returned from one of my programs to a variable in tcsh. I want to do: @ r10 = './my_prog file 35' where ./my_prog file 35 returns a decimal value, but this doesn't work. How do I achieve the desired result? Janet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psran
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating a input file for numeric and character

i have a input file like this 001|rahim|bajaj|20090102 while reading the file i need to check whether the first column is a number second column is a name is there any methodology to check for the same thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command to search for numeric and replace

Hi I am very new to linux and scripting. I need to replace numbers abc with number xyz inputting from a reference file. I used the following command - sed "s/$grd/$lab/" , where $grd and $lab comes from reference file. The problem is the above line doesnt take care of space..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayh
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

monitoring search strings /var/log/messages

Hello Everyone, I am setting up monitoring system for linux server, I need to add few some common error message in monitoring file which can search those strings in /var/log/messages file on the client. can someone suggest few error messages. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all first numeric character from a string

Hello, I have a file of strings a below:- 4358RYFHD9845 28/COC/UYF984 9834URD 98HJDU I need to extract all the first numeric character of every sting as follows:- 4358 28 9834 thanks to suggest ASAP Regards, Jasi Use code tags, thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search of multiple numeric entries in an output file

Hello Tech Guys, I have two files named check.txt and output.txt Content of check.txt 620070527336551 40201800027285 620070551928314 40201800027285 620070534376312 40201800027285 620070536668046 02711306140261 620070248491123 02711306140261 620070553851296 02711306140261... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xtreme
4 Replies
expr(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  expr(1B)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as a logical, arithmetic, or string expression SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/expr argument... DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expressions as specified by its arguments. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument, so terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note: 0 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, two's-complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by `'. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. expr | expr Returns the evaluation of the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0; otherwise, returns the evaluation of the second expr if it is not NULL; otherwise, 0. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, , , <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { , /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. string : regular-expression match string regular-expression The two forms of the matching operator above are synonymous. The matching operators : and match compare the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of regexp(5), except that all pat- terns are "anchored" (treated as if they begin with ^) and therefore ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on failure). Alternatively, the ... pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. substr string integer-1 integer-2 Extracts the substring of string starting at position integer-1 and of length integer-2 characters. If integer-1 has a value greater than the length of string, expr returns a null string. If you try to extract more characters than there are in string, expr returns all the remaining characters from string. Beware of using negative values for either integer-1 or integer-2 as expr tends to run forever in these cases. index string character-list Reports the first position in string at which any one of the characters in character-list matches a character in string. length string Returns the length (that is, the number of characters) of string. ( expr ) Parentheses may be used for grouping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding an integer to a shell variable Add 1 to the shell variable a. a='expr $a + 1' Example 2 Returning a path name segment Return the last segment of a path name (that is, the filename part). Watch out for / alone as an argument: expr will take it as the divi- sion operator (see BUGS below). # 'For $a equal to either "/usr/abc/file" or just "file"' expr $a : '.*/ $a Example 3 Using // characters to simplify the expression The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression. # A better representation of example 2. expr //$a : '.*/ Example 4 Returning the value of a variable Returns the number of characters in $VAR. expr $VAR : '.*' EXIT STATUS
expr returns the following exit codes: 0 If the expression is neither NULL nor 0. 1 If the expression is NULL or 0. 2 For invalid expressions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), attributes(5), regexp(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string division by zero if an attempt to divide by zero is made BUGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: expr $a = '=' looks like: expr = = = as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works: expr X$a = X= Note: the match, substr, length, and index operators cannot themselves be used as ordinary strings. That is, the expression: example% expr index expurgatorious length syntax error example% generates the `syntax error' message as shown instead of the value 1 as you might expect. SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 2000 expr(1B)