Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple search in multiple files Post 302151028 by maxvirrozeito on Thursday 13th of December 2007 11:50:23 AM
Old 12-13-2007
Multiple search in multiple files

Hello,

I would like to perform a search of several different strings in different files. I have the ouput of a unix command X which is for instance:

aaa
bbb
ccc

and I would like to look for each of these three strings into several files: file1 file2 etc.

I have come up with a solution that works... but slowly and not very neatly..
I am redirecting the output I get from command X to a file and then I read this file line by line performing the search with grep:

Code:
[several commands] > tmpFile
while read line
do
grep $line file1 file2 file3 >> finalFile
done < tmpFile

is it possible to avoid the loop by piping the output of X to a sed command for ex ?

Thank you for any help
Max

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for files in multiple directories

I want to search for a file pattern in more than one directory. How I need to do that? Here is the scenario: I am having a directory structure like the following: /log ...../20051001 ..........ftp_server_20051001.log ..........ftp_down_server.log ..........ftp_up_server.log... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple patterns in multiple files

Hi, I have to write one script that has to search a list of numbers in certain zipped files. For eg. one file file1.txt contains the numbers. File1.txt contains 5,00,000 numbers and I have to search each number in zipped files(The number of zipped files are around 1000 each file is 5 MB) I have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
10 Replies

4. Solaris

How to search for a word in multiple files

Hi, I want to find for a particular word which is existing in different files and folders under the parent directory. What command can I use to retrieve all the file names which is having the word. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace in multiple files

Hello, I have hundreds of files in which I need to change email address. Here is what I am trying to do: 1. All text files are in a directory "a" 2. In the text file, I want to replace email address for preparer. All these lines start with {{PreparerEmail and end with }}. The email... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/Replace in multiple files recursively

Hi there, I am using AIX and trying to search and replace a string with another string in multiple files in different directories. I wanted to search replace in steps so I don't change all of the instance anywhere in the server at once, minimizing impact. STEP 1: -------- I first searched... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaino22
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for multiple files

I need to look for 3 files in a particular directory, if they are > 0kb. If files exist proceed further, if not mail out saying one of the file is missing. All the 3 files should be present. Please see my script below and correct if needed. Anyway, it is not working. #! /bin/bash... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radfelder
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search multiple files

#!/usr/bin/ksh a="Run successfully" cd $APPS ls -l *.txt | while read $txt do if then cp $APPS/$txt cp $hist/$txt else rm $APPS/$txt echo "Files has been removed" fi done New in shell script please help me out Around 100 txt files in $APPS dir i want to search pattern from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
merge(1)						      General Commands Manual							  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
combines two files that are revisions of a single original file. The original file is file2, and the revised files are file1 and file3. identifies all changes that lead from file2 to file3 and from file2 to file1, then deposits the merged text into file1. If the option is used, the result goes to standard output instead of file1. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in the same place. prints how many overlaps occurred, and includes both alterna- tives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: lines in file1 lines in file3 If there are overlaps, edit the result in file1 and delete one of the alternatives. This command is particularly useful for revision control, especially if file1 and file3 are the ends of two branches that have file2 as a common ancestor. EXAMPLES
A typical use for is as follows: 1. To merge an RCS branch into the trunk, first check out the three different versions from RCS (see co(1)) and rename them for their revision numbers: 5.2, 5.11, and 5.2.3.3. File 5.2.3.3 is the end of an RCS branch that split off the trunk at file 5.2. 2. For this example, assume file 5.11 is the latest version on the trunk, and is also a revision of the "original" file, 5.2. Merge the branch into the trunk with the command: 3. File 5.11 now contains all changes made on the branch and the trunk, and has markings in the file to show all overlapping changes. 4. Edit file 5.11 to correct the overlaps, then use the command to check the file back in (see ci(1)). WARNINGS
uses the ed(1) system editor. Therefore, the file size limits of ed(1) apply to AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). merge(1)