Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep a number in a file to find them in another file Post 302150553 by drl on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 07:12:17 PM
Old 12-11-2007
Hi.

Some of the initial complexity can be removed by using command join:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate a join, using a field different from 1.

set -o nounset
echo

debug=":"
debug="echo"

## Use local command version for the commands in this demonstration.

echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version bash my-nl join

echo
echo " Input files:"
cat data1
echo
cat data2

echo
echo " Result of join:"
join -1 2 data1 data2

exit 0

Producing:
Code:
% ./s1

(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
GNU bash 2.05b.0
my-nl (local) 296
join (coreutils) 5.2.1

Input files:
aaa 107
bbb 108
ccc 109

101 2 1
102 3 1
107 2 1
108 3 1
109 2 1

Result of join:
107 aaa 2 1
108 bbb 3 1
109 ccc 2 1

You may still wish to use awk for the post-join processing, because that makes it easy to use the resulting fields. See man pages for details ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a number in a file name

Hi, I have multiple files where it starts with test1.c, test2.c,test3.c and so on. I would like to get each file separately to perform abstraction from these files. I tried something like:- for t in ./* filenumber=${t:4} # to cut the "test" in order to get the number cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find file grep it and print file name

i am trying to search a few hundred release note text files for a certain word. however when i use the below command i can find a file that contains it but i dont know the file name. how can i change this command to output the name of the file that grep was successful in? find builds -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find number of columns in a file

Hi all, may seem a very stupid question.but me stuck up in it for long.... How to find the number of columns in a ASCII file. EX:-Demo.lst songs 1 34 45 67 Number of columns should be 5. Regards, Anindya ;) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul26
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File find | xargs grep for pattern file

Folks I've been struggling this with for far too liong now and need your help! I've been happily using grep for a search of a directory, to list the files which contain a string: find . -type f -mtime -5 -print | xargs grep -l 'invoiceID=\"12345\"' Now the list of 'invoiceID' I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK-grep from line number to the end of file

Does anyone know how to use awk to act like grep from a particular line number to the end of file? I am using Solaris 10 and I don't have any GNU products installed. Say I want to print all occurrences of red starting at line 3 to the end of file. EXAMPLE FILE: red green red red... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

7. Programming

Find the number in the file

In my system , there are text files will be generated monthly , the file name begins with xxx , then year , month ( for example xxxxx201310.txt means Oct 2013 ) I have below command to count how many abc in the month , but it only count the number in this month . NUMBER=$(cat xxxxx201310.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep SQL output file for greater than number.

Hi, This is my first post. I have a korn shell script which outputs a select statment to a file. There is only one column and one row which contains a record count of the select statement. The select statement looks something like this: SELECT COUNT(some_field) AS "count_value" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MurdocUK
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CPANPLUS::Shell(3)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell - base class for CPANPLUS shells SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.16.3 2013-05-20 CPANPLUS::Shell(3)