Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file Post 302150336 by abovais on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 03:41:31 AM
Old 12-11-2007
Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all,

I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u.

well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h.

and

in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should replace all Hello/h in the first line where it is found and after that it should stop.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract perticular lines and make them into speadsheet

Hi Masters, I knew this isn't a new issue, but couldn't find any similar threads. So, I have to bother you. Here is my input file (genomic data). The file has many sessions, each session seperated by //. Within eash session there is only one ID and GN line. ID 3HAO_HUMAN STANDARD; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskcc
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a character in the file?

Hi All, I have file contains the following information. chem00s4.mis.amat.com ] Critical 3/21 chem00s4.mis.amat.com ] Normal 3/22 chem00s4.mis.amat.com ] Normal 3/23 chem00s4.mis.amat.com ] Normal 3/24 chem00s4.mis.amat.com ] Critical 3/25... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace last character in file

Greetings UNIX folks, I am running a tcsh script and trying to replace the last character of a file with the number 0. I know that the last character of the file will always be 1, but I only want to replace the last character. Example: 78062 26.55 78.77 1 MYGF1 24.89 15.78 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheSMan5
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a character in a file

Hello, Can anyone help me? I need to replace the letters (A, B, C..) of the second column in this file by a number i.e. 1. current file 0123456 0A123 0003355 Marion 1234567 0B117 0003388 Anthony 1112333 0C345 0459877 Ann new file 0123456 01123 0003355 Marion 1234567 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lilu_CK
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this DECLARE some statements; BEGIN some statements; END; I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines BEGIN For x in 1..1 LOOP BEGIN Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character in odd or even lines

Hello, I'm here again asking for your precious help. I'm writing some code to convert csv files to html. I want to highlight header and also I want to have rows with alternate colors. So far this is my work###Let's format first line only with some color cat $fileIN".tmp1" | sed '1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in a file.

I have a data like this in a file. 05/08/2017,U,01,116326001 05/08/2017,U,01,116226001 05/08/2017,U,01,116726323 05/08/2017,U,01,116236001 I want replace the date(1st column) of all records. Ex: 05/08/2017 to 04/02/2017 Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Artlk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the perticular fileds in passwd file

Hi I have 2 different password entries in 2 different files for the same user. file 1 - siva:correct:1000:23:siva:/home/siva:/bin/bash file 2 - siva:incorrect:1000:23:siva:/home/siva:/bin/bash file 1 is having correct passwd entry where as file 2 is wrong. Now, i want to compare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
3 Replies
paste(1)							   User Commands							  paste(1)

NAME
paste - merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility will concatenate the corresponding lines of the given input files, and write the resulting lines to standard output. The default operation of paste will concatenate the corresponding lines of the input files. The NEWLINE character of every line except the line from the last input file will be replaced with a TAB character. If an EOF (end-of-file) condition is detected on one or more input files, but not all input files, paste will behave as though empty lines were read from the files on which EOF was detected, unless the -s option is specified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d list Unless a backslash character () appears in list, each character in list is an element specifying a delimiter character. If a backslash character appears in list, the backslash character and one or more characters following it are an element specifying a delimiter character as described below. These elements specify one or more delimiters to use, instead of the default TAB character, to replace the NEWLINE character of the input lines. The elements in list are used circularly. That is, when the list is exhausted, the first element from the list is reused. When the -s option is specified: o The last newline character in a file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list after each file operand is processed. When the option is not specified: o The NEWLINE characters in the file specified by the last file will not be modified. o The delimiter will be reset to the first element of list each time a line is processed from each file. If a backslash character appears in list, it and the character following it will be used to represent the following delimiter characters: Newline character. Tab character. \ Backslash character. Empty string (not a null character). If is immediately followed by the character x, the character X, or any charac- ter defined by the LC_CTYPE digit keyword, the results are unspecified. If any other characters follow the backslash, the results are unspecified. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The NEWLINE character of every line except the last line in each input file will be replaced with the TAB character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If - is specified for one or more of the files, the standard input will be used. The standard input will be read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of -. Implementations support pasting of at least 12 file operands. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of paste when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Listing a directory in one column example% ls | paste -d" " - Example 2 Listing a directory in four columns example% ls | paste - - - - Example 3 Combining pairs of lines from a file into single lines example% paste -s -d" t n" file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of paste: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cut(1), grep(1), pr(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
"line too long" Output lines are restricted to 511 characters. "too many files" Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified. "no delimiters" The -d option was specified with an empty list. "cannot open file" The specified file cannot be opened. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1996 paste(1)