Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setting primary dns
Operating Systems Linux setting primary dns Post 302149277 by user23 on Wednesday 5th of December 2007 12:56:11 PM
Old 12-05-2007
that only lists my domain name.

i am trying to set the primary dns.

all it says in /etc/resolv.conf is

search mydomain.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Up Dns Server In Bsd

I just learning BSD So how would you go about setting up a DNS server please explain like A,B,C I am a new very new UNIX users so any help would be great thanks :( :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSD_NEWUSER
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Setting primary ip address with ifconfig

Hello, I have a server with two ip addresses. I need to make the ip address that's currently the secondary the primary. How do I use the ifconfig command and primary option? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Setting up local DNS Server

Hi , Could some one please share some docs or steps to set up solaris box as a local DNS . Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

dhcp not setting dns and changing to garbage

I have 2 problems. Dhcp is not setting dns and after I manually set my dns it changes to garbage. I literally just used command to set dns which is a good copy of resolv.conf: sudo cp /home/bob/Desktop/scripts_9-12-2011/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.confHere is a copy of my resolv.conf. #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

7. Linux

Setting up slave DNS?

can someone point me in the right direction im trying to setup a Slave dns server this is my named.conf file zone "website1.org" { type slave; file"mydb-for-website1-org"; notify NO; };and this is my var/named/mydb-for-website1-org $TTL 3D @ IN SOA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gangsta
1 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me setting up dns and understanding it.

Hi I need to set up a dns server for Oracle 11g rac setup. I got some files (copied from friend) named.conf and related files in /var/named , i was told that this would work fine. But i am getting some issues. I am attaching the files here. The problem is dig... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankurk
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Network Manager not setting correct DNS servers

Since a few weeks i use Ubuntu 16 on my laptop: # uname -a Linux xxxx 4.8.0-52-generic #55~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 28 14:36:29 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Because i want to use a custom name server i set the properties in the "Edit Connections" dialogue to the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies
defaultdomain(4)						   File Formats 						  defaultdomain(4)

NAME
defaultdomain - specify host's domain name SYNOPSIS
/etc/defaultdomain DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/defaultdomain determines a host's domain name for direct use by the NIS and NIS+ name services. The defaultdomain file is read at boot time and its contents used by the domainname(1M) command. Because of its use by domainname, defaultdomain is also used by the LDAP service (see ldap(1)). Under certain, narrow circumstances (see resolv.conf(4)), because domainname uses defaultdomain, a DNS client can use the contents of defaultdomain. The contents of defaultdomain consists of a single line containing a host's domain name. SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), uname(1), ldapclient(1M), nisclient(1M), ypbind(1M), ypinit(1M), resolv.conf(4) NOTES
The defaultdomain file is created and modified by Solaris installation and configuration scripts. Only users knowledgeable of name service configuration should edit the file. SunOS 5.11 22 February 2000 defaultdomain(4)