Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Not quite related to Unix but CP/M file structure... Post 302149085 by porter on Tuesday 4th of December 2007 09:09:00 PM
Old 12-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend986
I know I'm missing something but I don't understand what I'm missing....
clusters!

the list of "things" that are referenced in each directory entry are clusters, not sectors.

A single disk can contain a maximum of 255 clusters, where a cluster contains 2^N sectors, and a sector is 128 bytes.

If a single byte is used to indicate how many 128byte sectors are used in a cluster then depending on the algorithm you have either a max of 128 or 256 sectors per cluster, giving an absolute max disk size of ether 4Mb or 8Mb.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Directory Structure

Does anyone know of a good Internet source that explains the directory structure of Unix/Linux?? Thanks Gregg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdboling
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Related

well through my 6 months education i know some unix os but i can't find one for my p3 via board can any one tell me where to find such please replay as email or private msg and thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaMaL
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure?

What are some benefits of the UNIX hierarchical file structure? I am new to UNIX and researching some information about it for a class so please help if you can. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 88923JJJSDK
1 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums

How to post a new thread (Regarding Unix related doubts) in Unix Forums. I registered my id but I am unable to post my Questions to Forum. Thanks & Regards, indusri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indusri
1 Replies

5. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

6. Fedora

How is OS X related to unix

Ok, I gotta ask this question, I have just begun fundamentals of UNIX in college and have learned or heard that Mac's OS-X is a linux based os! Does this mean that unix shell commands work in OS-X? I have no experience with os-x yet. I know it's a stupid question but I gotta know! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: boarder428
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix commands Related to

Hi all, Does unix has any commands for creating BLOB and CLOB objects. Please forward me any sites or samples (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the Folder Structure in Unix

Hi All, I have a compute box and I want to tar directory structure under a directory and then Deploy/untar it in a new compute box so that the directory structure will be exactly the same. I do not want any of the file to be extracted and deployed but instead only the directory structure. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need downloading related help...but its not related to unix

Hi All, I am trying to dowmload the zip file "zkManageCustomers.zip " but i dont have access. Can anyone help me to download this file See the below link- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/wa-aj-open/index.html?ca=drs- Please help me as early as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Query related to conversion of segy file and .su files using Seismic Unix

hi M using ubuntu 11.04....and has installed Seismic Unix on it.... I want to process some unprocessed segy data using Seismic Unix.... i have converted .segy file to .su using segyread tape=file1.seg verbose=1 endian=0 | segyclean > smallfile.su and got 3 files -smallfile.su... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankita Singla
0 Replies
dir_ufs(4)							   File Formats 							dir_ufs(4)

NAME
dir_ufs, dir - format of ufs directories SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/fs/ufs_fsdir.h> DESCRIPTION
A directory consists of some number of blocks of DIRBLKSIZ bytes, where DIRBLKSIZ is chosen such that it can be transferred to disk in a single atomic operation, for example, 512 bytes on most machines. Each DIRBLKSIZ-byte block contains some number of directory entry structures, which are of variable length. Each directory entry has a struct direct at the front of it, containing its inode number, the length of the entry, and the length of the name contained in the entry. These entries are followed by the name padded to a 4 byte boundary with null bytes. All names are guaranteed null-terminated. The maximum length of a name in a directory is MAXNAMLEN. #define DIRBLKSIZ DEV_BSIZE #define MAXNAMLEN 256 struct direct { ulong_t d_ino; /* inode number of entry */ ushort_t d_reclen; /* length of this record */ ushort_t d_namlen; /* length of string in d_name */ char d_name[MAXNAMLEN + 1]; /* maximum name length */ }; ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), ufs(7FS) SunOS 5.10 16 Apr 2003 dir_ufs(4)