Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) creating a new profile from command line Post 302148820 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Monday 3rd of December 2007 08:57:54 PM
Old 12-03-2007
The macosxhints thread linked to was posted in 2002.
Here is the Pre-Leopard operation in a slightly more readable form.
Kirkville - Creating User Accounts from the Command Line

Which OS X version are you performing the user add on?

ni tools (niutil, nidump,..) are gone from Leopard (10.5).

dscl, dseditgroup, mkdir, cp -R, and chown would seem to be the tools for this under Leopard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

profile script command syntax

Following is my /etc/profile script. Everything above the asterisks executes as expected. Nothing below the asterisks executes as I would like it to. Any guidance on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated :-) #ident "@(#)profile 1.18 98/10/03 SMI" /* SVr4.0 1.3 */ # The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mufasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias command within .profile

Please could someone advise me the command - to set up aliases commands within a .profile using shell sh regards venhart (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
13 Replies

3. AIX

To see vhost on VIOS after creating an HMC profile

I created a profile in HMC for a new LPAR and activated it but not yet installed AIX. Is there a step to make this new LPAR available as vhostX from the VIO server after creating and activating an HMC profile? I already shared the CD-ROM device from the HMC profile. Thanks. -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner1
1 Replies

4. Solaris

The .profile file has only exit command

Hi everyone, This is my first post in the forum. :-) I was asked this question for an interview recently. Q: What will happen if the .profile file has only the exit command in it and nothing else. (Assume that every other settings are in place to run the .profile file, when the user... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinashpv
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help creating new .profile

Hi, We have a load of users which point to the same basic profile by a link: .profile -> /export/home/dusers/INIT/dot.profile I'd like to create a seperate profile for one user -testu12. If I remove the link from his profile will it delete the actual dot.profile file? I've tried to do a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating my own profile file in unix

I am new in shell scripting. currently i am using cygwin. My problem is i created a profile file in my own folder. file name is first.profile in which i gave following values to variable export a=10 now i am executing this profile file by below command ./.first.profile it executed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating execute profile file in unix

first i created a profile file(my_var.profile) which contains export my_var=20 after that i created shell scripts(my_var.sh) which contains #!/bin/bash . ./my_var.profile echo '$my_var='$my_var but when i am executing sh my_var.sh it is showing error that no such file/directory .profile.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here is what I am supposed to do, word for word from my assignment page: 1. Create/modify and print a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
2 Replies

9. AIX

Bypass Read Line in profile through AIX command

Hi All, I have a complicated requirement where in I have a "root" user and a user named "xeadmin" I want to take sudo of "xeadmin" by command sudo su - xeadmin. Later i need to hit 2 enter keys as there are 2 read line commands inserted in profile of "xeadmin" and I reach command prompt, i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiteshsathawane
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command Understanding :- . $PWD/.profile

Hi, I am new in unix, can anyone please explain the use of:- . $PWD/.profile Thanks, Sujoy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoyrchowdhury
5 Replies
NIUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NIUTIL(1)

NAME
niutil - NetInfo utility SYNOPSIS
niutil -create [ opts ] domain path niutil -destroy [ opts ] domain path niutil -createprop [ opts ] domain path key [ val... ] niutil -appendprop [ opts ] domain path key val... niutil -mergeprop [ opts ] domain path key val... niutil -insertval [ opts ] domain path key val index niutil -destroyprop [ opts ] domain path key niutil -destroyval [ opts ] domain path key val niutil -renameprop [ opts ] domain path oldkey newkey niutil -read [ opts ] domain path niutil -list [ opts ] domain path niutil -rparent [ opts ] domain niutil -resync [ opts ] domain niutil -statistics [ opts ] domain DESCRIPTION
niutil lets you to do arbitrary reads and writes on the given NetInfo domain. In order to perform writes, niutil must be run as root on the NetInfo master for the database, unless the -p, -P, or -u options are given. The directory specified by path is separated by "/"s, similar to the filesystem. The property names may be given in the path using a "=", but will default to the property name "name". For example, the following refers to a user with the user ID 3. "/name=users/uid=3" The following shorter form would also be sufficient: "/users/uid=3" You may specify a numeric ID for the directory instead of the string path. OPTIONS
-t Interpret the domain as a tagged domain. For example, "parrish/network" refers to the database tagged "network" on the machine "parrish". You may supply an IP address instead of a machine name. -p Prompt for the root password or the named user password if combined with the -u option. -u user Run this command as the named user. This option implies -p. -P password Supplies the root password or the named user password if combined with the -u option. -T seconds Sets the read and write timeout to the given number of seconds. OPERATIONS
-create domain path Create a new directory with the given path. -destroy domain path Destroy the directory with the given path. -createprop domain path key [ val... ] Create a new property in the directory path. key refers to the name of the property; 0 or more property values may be specified. If the named property already exists, it's overwritten. -appendprop domain path key val... Appends new values to an existing property in the directory path. key refers to the name of the property; 0 or more property values may be specified. If the named property doesn't exist, it's created. -mergeprop domain path key val... Merges new values into an existing property in the directory path. key refers to the name of the property; 0 or more property val- ues may be specified. The values are appended to the property only if they are not already present. If the named property doesn't exist, it's created. -insertval domain path key val propindex Inserts a new value into an existing property in the directory path at position propindex. key refers to the name of the property. If the named property doesn't exist, it's created. -destroyprop domain path key Destroy the property with name key in the given path. -destroyval domain path key val Destroy the given value in the property with name key in the given path. -renameprop domain path oldkey newkey Renames the property with name oldkey in the given path. -read domain path Read the properties associated with the directory specified in the given path. -list domain path List the directories in the given domain/path. The directory ID's are listed along with any names they may have. -readprop domain path key Read the values of the given property in the specified directory. -readval domain path key index Read the value at the given index of the named property in the specified directory. -rparent domain Prints the current NetInfo parent of a server. The server should be explicitly given using the -t host/tag option. -resync domain Resynchronizes NetInfo. If a domain name is given, the master resynchronizes all clones. If the -t clone/tag option is used instead of a tag, then only that clone is resynchronized. Using -t master/tag resynchronizes the whole domain. -statistics domain Print server statistics. -domainname domain Print the domain name of the given domain. This is useful when the domain is specified is a relative name (like "." or "..") or when a connection is made using the -t server/tag option. EXAMPLE
"niutil -list . /" list the directories at the top level in the local NetInfo database. SEE ALSO
niload(8), nidump(8), nigrep(1), nifind(1), nireport(1), netinfo(5) Apple Computer, Inc. June 20 1989 NIUTIL(1)