Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort By Date and Time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort By Date and Time Post 302147876 by hegemaro on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 11:57:22 PM
Old 11-29-2007
Just to throw this out there...if the files are created in a specific time order irrespective of name, then the ls -t command would work nicely. With Solaris, the last modification time is used, but the -u option would use the file's access time.

Check your local man pages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch Time to Standard Date and Time & Vice Versa

Hi guys, I know that this topic has been discuss numerous times, and I have search the net and this forum for it. However, non able to address the problem I faced so far. I am on Solaris Platform and unable to install additional packages like the GNU date and gawk to make use of their... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to sort entries in a file by date and time

Hello All, Need a shell script to sort entries in a file by date and time. Below are the entries in the file, i need to sort it first by the date and then time Note :- Date is in MM/DD/YY format and date comes as the 6th & time comes on 7th coloumns respectively. 150 pbnawldb001-b... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

4. Solaris

modifying date and time and time zone on solaris 5.10 with (redundant server) veritas

I have a cluster of two Solaris server (veritas cluster). one working and the other is standby I am going to change the date on them , and am looking for a secure solution as it is giving an important service. my opinion is that the active one doesn't need to be restarted (if I don't change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barry1946
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort by Date and Time?

Hi, The input file is as follows, 22.06.2012 17:58:38 CPUser: xxxxxxx, billedAfterStatus: Active 13.07.2012 08:46:15 CPUser: xxxxxxx, billedAfterStatus: Active 20.07.2012 08:56:24 CPUser: xxxxxxx, billedAfterStatus: Active 20.03.2012 08:56:24 CPUser: xxxxxxx, billedAfterStatus: Active... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current date time of EDT in IST time

Hi Folks, My server time is in EDT. And i am sending automated mails from that server in which i need to display the current date time as per IST (GMT+5:30). Please advice how to display the date time as per IST. IST time leads 9:30 mins to EDT. and i wrote something like below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort date time in ascending order

Hi, i had a data block (coming from pipe from other codes) as: H YF_CO.dat 77164 11/17/2013 04:00:02 731374590.96 1 1 731374590.96 76586 77164 578 2988 Y H YF_CO.dat 77164 11/17/2013 04:00:07 731374590.96 1 4 731374590.96 76586 77164 578 2988 Y H YF_CO.dat 77178 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pr5439
5 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-A [-][[hh]mm]SS] [-achm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] [-d YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:SS[.frac][tz]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files. If any file does not exist, it is created with default permissions. By default, touch changes both modification and access times. The -a and -m flags may be used to select the access time or the modification time individually. Selecting both is equivalent to the default. By default, the timestamps are set to the current time. The -d and -t flags explicitly specify a different time, and the -r flag specifies to set the times those of the specified file. The -A flag adjusts the values by a specified amount. The following options are available: -A Adjust the access and modification time stamps for the file by the specified value. This flag is intended for use in modifying files with incorrectly set time stamps. The argument is of the form ``[-][[hh]mm]SS'' where each pair of letters represents the following: - Make the adjustment negative: the new time stamp is set to be before the old one. hh The number of hours, from 00 to 99. mm The number of minutes, from 00 to 59. SS The number of seconds, from 00 to 59. The -A flag implies the -c flag: if any file specified does not exist, it will be silently ignored. -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -d Change the access and modification times to the specified time instead of the current time of day. The argument is of the form ``YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:SS[.frac][tz]'' where the letters represent the following: YYYY The year. MM The month of the year, from 01 to 12. DD The day of the month, from 01 to 31. T The letter T or a space. hh The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. .frac An optional fraction, consisting of a period or a comma followed by one or more digits. The number of significant dig- its depends on the kernel configuration and the filesystem, and may be zero. tz An optional letter Z indicating the time is in UTC. Otherwise, the time is assumed to be in local time. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time instead of the current time of day. The argument is of the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 01 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 01 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. EXIT STATUS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 10, 2012 BSD