Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: where are my email log files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers where are my email log files Post 302147805 by Lakris on Wednesday 28th of November 2007 03:19:52 PM
Old 11-28-2007
If You have a hosting service maybe the host should be able to provide You with the logs? Either if You have an administrative interface or just by asking them.
The location depends on the mail server software but probably in /var/log/mail* or something. I don't think You can get it through a telnet session to the server software that responds to pop3 requests).
/Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email files with files - wild character

Dear friends: I have these data files: fileaa fileab fileac filead I want to email these file to someone. How can I email EACH SINGLE FILE with a wild card character? mail john@mail.com<fileaa mail john@mail.com<fileab ...............................ac... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an email with more than one files

Hi, I would like to send an email with more than one attachement. I am using uuencode. I want to achive by suing uuencode. Also please let me know other ways. -Thambi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing email log

Can anyone give me some examples of how I can parse the following lines of text so that all characters up to and including the @ symbol are deleted? Also, any duplicates would need to be deleted in order to produce the desired output. Any help is much appreciated and explanations of any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjamd64
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notifying changes in files through email

Hey folks Thank you for helping me.I find this website so useful and handy.My latest issue is about notifying change in files say file.txt,file2.sh ...etc to a group of people using sendmail.We are using bash here. --CoolKid (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print log to an email

Hi, I have wrote a script and i want to be able to output my variable MSG_DEST (which is a log) to an email. so basically log contains: hello John when i email recipient it says to xxxxxx from xxxxxx subject xxxxxx hello John What do I need to put in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Email files

How to delete old Emails from HP UX system? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic Email of Log Files in OSX

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script that will take the log files from a single folder (all ending with .log), put them into an archive, use something to encrypt the file, and then emailx to email the resulting encrypted archive to me. Of course, I am open to suggestions on how to improve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DotNaBox
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture all error message in Log file and send the Log file by email

Hi I have a requirement to write a script to capture all errors in a Logfile and send the file in email. If there is any error occurred the subject of email will be ERROR , If there are no error occurred the subject of email will be SUCCESS. So I created a Log file and put the Appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email backup log

Hi, I have a server which appends to two different backup logs, a summary and a full log, I want to write a script which will email out this mornings backup, the problem is that in the log files the date is in the below format: Fri May 31,2013 02:30 the summary log file I can just use... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bdoydie
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies
mconnect(1)							   User Commands						       mconnect(1)

NAME
mconnect - connect to SMTP mail server socket SYNOPSIS
mconnect [-p port] [-r] [hostname] DESCRIPTION
The mconnect utility opens a connection to the mail server on a given host, so that it can be tested independently of all other mail soft- ware. If no host is given, the connection is made to the local host. Servers expect to speak the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) on this connection. Exit by typing the quit command. Typing EOF sends an end of file to the server. An interrupt closes the connection immedi- ately and exits. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p port Specify the port number instead of the default SMTP port (number 25) as the next argument. -r "Raw" mode: disable the default line buffering and input handling. This produces an effect similar to telnet(1) to port number 25. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: hostname The name of a given host. USAGE
The mconnect command is IPv6-enabled. See ip6(7P). FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.hf help file for SMTP commands ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
telnet(1), sendmail(1M), attributes(5), ip6(7P) Postel, Jonathan B., RFC 821, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, August 1982. SunOS 5.10 9 Nov 1999 mconnect(1)