Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O and alias question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I/O and alias question Post 302145831 by sysgate on Thursday 15th of November 2007 10:55:24 AM
Old 11-15-2007
I'm not sure if you can do "string1 string2" as alias.
Run "alias" only and see if it's accepted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias's & Functions - simple question

Having a memory lapse: If I redefine a command using an alias or a function - How do I access the "real" command without specifying an absoulte path: i.e. function man { /usr/bin/man |more } alias ls='/usr/bin/ls -l' How do I specify the ls or man command above without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix question: user supplied input for 'alias'

I have a program to scan the log files and I want to pipe the output to 'less'. I want to create an alias such that following are equivalent scanlog chunky.lst = /udd/n2man/utils/scanlog chunky.lst|less where chunky is user supplied file which can change. Is this possible as an alias or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ospreyeagle
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a question about alias command

Some Unix systems won't enable you to do the following. What danger do you see lurking in this alias? (a) alias who (b)who -a Do you know it? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayyu317
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

One Question related to alias

Hello, I have created following alias in csh lab 'rlogin -l user23 complab23' but problem is complab23 does not allow automatic login by checking .rhosts file. So after typing lab on command line I have to type complicate password and if wrong password is typed thrice then account gets... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neerajrathi2
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about alias

I am using following alias in csh to find process. alias pp 'ps -ef | grep \!*' >pp java root 27742 27558 0 15:55 pts/12 00:00:00 grep java but It does not work in bash. alias pp='ps -ef | grep \!*' #pp java grep: java: no such file or directory How can I use this feature... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcliff
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias Help

Can someone help me with an alias...? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NetJones
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias question

how would i turn alias off all together? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH and alias question...

i regularly login to servers that I donot control. On many of these servers I do not have home dir. I need to set aliases from my host to the remote machine when I ssh in. for example from when I go from hosta --> hostb. I want all my aliases from hosta to be present in hostb once I login. ( i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayrajah
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Simple question: alias not working for root

OS = Solaris 8 Issue: alias not working for root, but working for regular users # grep root /etc/passwd root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh # alias dir=ls # dir dir: not found # alias dir="ls -l" # dir dir: not found # alias dir='ls -l' # dir dir: not found # alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)