Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Replacement Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String Replacement Script Post 302145751 by pranavagarwal on Thursday 15th of November 2007 05:01:33 AM
Old 11-15-2007
Lightbulb A new twist to this old post..

Hello All,

i have a problem which is exactly similar to this in all respects except that i have to do this for all files in the directory including sub-directories in which the pattern exists.

the code did work for me too, just it will be great if anybody can give a solution which works for all files in all the sub-directories as well.. this is becoz, there are too many files and i don't remember them all..

Will be very grateful to all of you..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell/sed script for grep+string replacement

Hi, Let me explain the situation. There are many files in a directory and its sub-directories that conatin the string pattern "pa". I want to replace all such instances with the pattern "pranavagarwal" doing a grep "pa" `ls` does give me all the instances of the occurence of that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of string

Hi I have a text file which contains the following. AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD How can I replace all CCC with 888, with other contents inside the file remain unchange? Please advice Desired output: AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0384
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi I am new to shell scripting but i manage to do some simple things. I am trying to replace a string in one file. I am using sed to replace but it is not permanently writing to the file, rather it is temporary. I want to know whether is there any another method to replace a string in a file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with string replacement

I posted this issue a week or so ago and I still cant get the script to work. Here is what I have so far and what Im trying to do. #!/bin/ksh old="$1" new="$2" file=$3 grep $1 $3 > /dev/null if ;then cp $3 ${3}.bak sed "s/$1/$2/g" $3 > ${3}~ mv ${3}~ ${3} fithe script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordonheimer
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel replacement string

Hi, Using the following command, I can only get rid of the last extension from my input file name: parallel command '>' {.}.output ::: my.input.file The output file is "my.input.output" How can I get rid of the last two extensions of my input file name, so that end up with "my.output"?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forU
4 Replies
GLOB(3) 								 1								   GLOB(3)

glob - Find pathnames matching a pattern

SYNOPSIS
array glob (string $pattern, [int $flags]) DESCRIPTION
The glob(3) function searches for all the pathnames matching $pattern according to the rules used by the libc glob() function, which is similar to the rules used by common shells. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern. No tilde expansion or parameter substitution is done. o $flags - Valid flags: o GLOB_MARK - Adds a slash to each directory returned o GLOB_NOSORT - Return files as they appear in the directory (no sorting). When this flag is not used, the pathnames are sorted alphabetically o GLOB_NOCHECK - Return the search pattern if no files matching it were found o GLOB_NOESCAPE - Backslashes do not quote metacharacters o GLOB_BRACE - Expands {a,b,c} to match 'a', 'b', or 'c' o GLOB_ONLYDIR - Return only directory entries which match the pattern o GLOB_ERR - Stop on read errors (like unreadable directories), by default errors are ignored. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array containing the matched files/directories, an empty array if no file matched or FALSE on error. Note On some systems it is impossible to distinguish between empty match and an error. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | | | | GLOB_ERR was added | | | | +--------+--------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Convenient way how glob(3) can replace opendir(3) and friends. <?php foreach (glob("*.txt") as $filename) { echo "$filename size " . filesize($filename) . " "; } ?> The above example will output something similar to: funclist.txt size 44686 funcsummary.txt size 267625 quickref.txt size 137820 NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note This function isn't available on some systems (e.g. old Sun OS). Note The GLOB_BRACE flag is not available on some non GNU systems, like Solaris. SEE ALSO
opendir(3), readdir(3), closedir(3), fnmatch(3). PHP Documentation Group GLOB(3)